Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Suddenly, content just disappears

Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:40 AM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
This is the third time this has happened with the same site. The site owner makes a few normal edits to content then the next time she logs in almost all (save one text widget) is no longer displayed. The theme design is still there, it is just empty of content. I deactivate all plugins to no avail. The content is still in the DB just not displayed. I will reinstall the theme and all will be well again. Till she does some more edits. This is crazy! None of my other Atahualpa sites have behaved this way.

Last time this happened I took it as an opportunity to upgrade to 3.7.3. And I just upgraded to WP 3.3.1.

I'm at a loss. Anyone have ideas about what could be going on here? Some kind of corruption issue? How could I figure that out?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:14 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what is the url?
have you looked at the theme source to see if it has been hacked?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:28 AM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Should have included it in the first place!

dev2.horsemansarts.com

Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 09:00 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you look at the source you will see it ends with
HTML Code:
		<!-- / Left Sidebar -->

<!-- Main Column -->
		<td id="middle">
This generally indicates that the content of the last post the user made is causing a problem. Many times this is because the user has copied from a Word document and pasted into the post. The problem is Word documents contained embedded word styling that cause WordPress to choke.

Go into the site and make the last couple of posts drafts and see what happens.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 09:43 AM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
I set the last couple of months of posts to draft to see what would happen. But nothing did. What might the NEXT reason for that 'hanging' bit be? Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:27 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
could also be the plugins in the left sidebar starting with the last one.

You can also add
HTML Code:
define('WP_DEBUG', true);
to the wp-config.php to see what error is happening and/or look at the sites error log.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:22 AM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
I added the line you suggested to the wp-config but must admit that I don't really know what to do with it. How do you see the results?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:28 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
ok, now add
HTML Code:
define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', true);
this should display the errors on the screen so we can see what error is happening.

Last edited by lmilesw; Apr 3, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:17 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
I assume you mean add this to the wp-config? I did it. Where would errors display?
Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:26 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
hmmm, they should go to the display. ok try two, substiture the following for those two lines
HTML Code:
/**
* This will log all errors notices and warnings to a file called debug.log in
* wp-content (if Apache does not have write permission, you may need to create
* the file first and set the appropriate permissions (i.e. use 666) )
*/
define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
@ini_set('display_errors',0);
view the site and then, with FTP go look at the wp-contents and see if the file 'debug.log' was created. if it was, paste the contents to a reply.
Old May 1, 2012, 05:45 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
OK I'm circling back on this. I added the code per your suggestion but found no debug.log file. So I created one (in wp-content right?) and set permissions to 666. However, after refreshing the site nothing has been logged into the file. Could I have made some error wrt setting up wp-config?

It has taken me so long to get back to this because I thought it must have been resolved. The site was working fine for the last couple of weeks. The owner and I thought maybe it was something she had done, cutting and pasting content. But, yesterday it happened again and she SWEARS she added no content.

This is crazy!! Thanks for your help.
Sharon
Old May 1, 2012, 08:12 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
remove any plugins in the left sidebar and see what happens
Old May 1, 2012, 08:30 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
There aren't any plugins in the left sidebar?
Old May 2, 2012, 03:40 AM
Jam

1,112 posts · Mar 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Try installing Google Libraries plugin
Old May 2, 2012, 05:08 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
What is happening is the site is built till it gets to the
HTML Code:
		<!-- Main Column -->
		<td id="middle">
and there is nothing after that.

That tells me it is trying to process the left sidebars and then the first post but something is causing an error at this point and wordpress is getting a fatal error.

the sites error.log should show this error, but you have to find this file and some hosts won't let you look at it because all theri sites are dumped into the same one.

what could cause this? MS Word code in a post, a plugin, an undiscovered bug in Atahualpa or WordPress.

what to do? First, disable ALL plugins and see if the site comes back
second, make the last few posts DRAFTs to see if it is one of them
third, talk to your host and find the errror.log that will tell where the error is happening.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:56 AM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam
Try installing Google Libraries plugin
What does that do?
Old May 2, 2012, 07:59 AM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Juggledad,
I've disabled everything and also set the last two months worth of posts to draft. Still no site. I will look into the error log.

I noticed something else that is out of place. There is a small bit of margin now appearing above the menu. I didn't put it there! I used Firebug to see what the setting was and can't seem to figure out where that margin setting is happening. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Sharon
Old May 2, 2012, 09:02 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
send me a PM with a admin ID/PW
Old May 2, 2012, 05:39 PM
Jam

1,112 posts · Mar 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Not sure if it will help, but clicked on "Posts" and got this error on otherwise white screen:
Code:
XML Parsing Error: XML or text declaration not at start of entity
Line Number 2, Column 1:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
^
and Google Libraries solved a slightly similar problem for one of my sites recently, where content was missing from Dashboard but still visible on the site. I know its a long shot but worth a try. Google Libraries bypasses local scripts and uses Google Libraries versions which may avoid a javascript conflict causing your sites issue.

Last edited by Jam; May 2, 2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:23 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Where do you have the 'atahualpa373' folder located? Is it in the 'wp-content/themes' folder or is it in the 'wp-contents/themes/atahualpa' folder?

if it is in the 'wp-contents/themes/atahualpa' folder, move it to the 'wp-contents/themes' folder.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:17 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
Where do you have the 'atahualpa373' folder located? Is it in the 'wp-content/themes' folder or is it in the 'wp-contents/themes/atahualpa' folder?

if it is in the 'wp-contents/themes/atahualpa' folder, move it to the 'wp-contents/themes' folder.
Atahualpa373 is already in the wp-contents/themes folder (not in wp-contents/themes/atahualpa).

Sharon
Old May 2, 2012, 11:17 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Couldn't stand it. I just replaced the theme with a fresh copy and voila all is well again. But for how long? I don't get it!
Old May 3, 2012, 04:01 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I hate to tell you but you have been hacked. I took a look at the other themes and every php file in every theme has been altered and contains the obfuscated code at the end. It will only be a day of two before the fresh copy gets hacked again.

This could extent to all the WP files also (can't tell unless I had FTP access.)

report this to your host.

look at the files with FTP to see what the modified date is this will tell you when the hack happened and you can check to access logs to see if they were modified via ftp.

read this post: How to Cope with a Hacked Site

Some of the things you need to do are change every password
cpanel
ftp - delete any users you don't recognize
wordpress - every admin user - FOR EVERY SITE YOU HOST
mysql

make sure every computer that accesses the sites via an admin ID has up to date virus/malware software and has been scanned.

replace every theme, plugin and all the wordpress code

grab the log files to see if you can figure out how you got hacked

it is a messy time consuming job cleaning out a hack

also check your .htaccess files for something like this
HTML Code:
 php_value auto_append_file /home/path_to_/public_html/websitename/Thumbs.db
and remove it if you find it

===========
some references
===========
http://codex.wordpress.org/FAQ_My_site_was_hacked
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/268083#post-1065779
http://smackdown.blogsblogsblogs.com...-installation/
http://ottopress.com/2009/hacked-wordpress-backdoors/

http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress

Last edited by juggledad; May 3, 2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old May 3, 2012, 08:10 AM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Where do I find log files?

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2012, 08:23 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
depends on your host...