Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

CSS inserts issue and destroyed layout

Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:53 PM
megumi

14 posts · Jul 2010
Hi
just wanted to add an additonal code in CSS inserts field
when I found this: attached is the bad version of the website as jpeg screenshot
Then I pasted back the original text I had saved on a txt file but the original layout (as in attached screenshot) never came back.

Is there a codepiece missing? I pasted the whole text in "css inserts" in the attached text file.
I am a newbie for you it might be obvious.

I only touched the css inserts field and did no other modification.

Your time and advice is highly appreciated.
Thank you
Megumi
Attached Files
File Type: doc css inserts.doc (22.0 KB, 1702 views)

Last edited by megumi; Jan 31, 2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:07 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Can you please explain a bit clearer the steps you took with the save, the change, and the attempt to put things back?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:28 AM
megumi

14 posts · Jul 2010
Thank you for your feedback,

well I pasted this aweber code to modify the opt in layout
/* Aweber Box
———————————————————— */
#af-form-xxxxxxxx .af-element { float: left; }
#af-form-xxxxxxxx .af-clear { display:none; }
#af-form-xxxxxxxx .af-body input.text { width: 150px!important; margin-right:15px!important; }
#af-form-xxxxxxxx .buttonContainer { margin-top:-6px!important; }

hit save and the frontend looked funny
when I went to the backend I saw I accidentally deleted the text / code in the css inserts field
with the back button of the browser then recovered the original code,
hit save again and now the situation is as above, not pretty :-(
Thank you !
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:16 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
1) which image is the 'good' one, the first or second?
2) what is the site url?
3) What version of Atahualpa and WP?

go to ato->export/import settings and export your settings then attaach the file to a reply (use the paper clip icon)
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:43 AM
megumi

14 posts · Jul 2010
Hi Juggledad, thanxs for your response.

1) the good one is the right one - well was, I uploaded the pics to
https://plus.google.com/photos/102194739676814290657/albums/5703768137620823633?authkey=CMfuvJSp_KW53QE
The one with the "original" Atahualpa" Design, the many page tabs on top and the search box on top is the bad one
2) vivirdivinamente.es
3.3.1. for wordpress (latest version )
3.7.3. for atahualpa

3) I attached the document, in order to do so I had to delete the pictures.
I will find another solution to upload them somewhere for you to see.
basically the the sidebar layout is funny, the header and it shows all ! the pages in the menu bar while they were hidden before.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ata-vivirdivinamentees-20120131.txt (16.0 KB, 1615 views)

Last edited by megumi; Jan 31, 2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:50 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
re: the menu's - were you using a custom wordpress menu? if so go to dashboard->appearances->menu and make sure you have it chosen.

Quote:
basically the the sidebar layout is funny,
what do you mean? I imported your settings and it 'looks' fine

are you sure you did nothing else? Did you by any chance reset all the theme options? That is the only way you would end up doing things like resetting the header (pages over the image etc)

Last edited by juggledad; Jan 31, 2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:17 PM
megumi

14 posts · Jul 2010
Thanks for the reply Juggledad,
hm, well it seems I accidentally might have reset the theme options.
I still have the possibility to restore my site with my server hostgator,
seems like the quickest option:
in this case what do i have to tell them, which part to restore?
Sorry, I do not really have a lot of profound knowledge on backend.
thanks for your indications, or what else would be quickest to resolve this!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:27 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you haven't added anything important, then I'd ask them to retore it to yesterday before you did what you did.

Learn how to backup and restore both your database and files (the wp-contents folder and the file sp-config.php) and do frequent backups and do one before any majog changes.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:19 PM
megumi

14 posts · Jul 2010
I think I got :-) that I need to find the old bfa_ata4 file,
or do I restore via /atahualpa/styles/: ata-round.txt, ata-classic.txt, ata-default.txt and ata-adsense.txt
Its not possible to locate in the sql.gz backups right?
Thanks for your hints, much appreciated!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:36 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The styling is stored in the database, but if you hit 'reset all settings' the database now has the default settings. You could
1) backup the database as it now stands
2) have your host restore the database to yesterday...that is if they do backups, most hosts do not backup your files.
3) if you got them to restore the database, go in and export the atahualpa settings (ato->export/import settings)
4) restore your database using the copy you made in step (1)

Now you will have an up to date database with the messed up theme settings, but you also have an export of the good settings so you go back to ato->export/import settings and import the settings from step (3) and you should be all set.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 05:19 AM
megumi

14 posts · Jul 2010
Could you please explain
"4) restore your database using the copy you made in step (1)" - what do you mean with "step one"?
They did the restore, but now its worse since all the widgets are gone in the sidebars......
Thank you!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 05:46 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Step (1) refered to making a backup of the database right after you hit the reset all theme options button - if you have had them do a restore, then that is no longer an option.

it sounds like you are going to have to add the widgets back in. When you look at the widget screen, you will see two areas with widgetss,, top and bottom - the top area is new copies f the widgets, the bottom is what may have been in the sidebars. Try moving the widgets from the bottom area to the sidebars.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 08:41 AM
megumi

14 posts · Jul 2010
Juggledad, thank you for your support.
I have that database - I do everyday db backups myself and through the server
still "restore the database" with a slq is what I am not sure how to do.
Could you shortly comment or point me to where I can read more?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 04:15 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
this is an area that most people are lacking in - both wuing wordpress an dbacking up their own computer - ie doing a restore.

What good is a backup if you don't know how to restore it?

You can use phpMyAdm to import a database backup and IF your dataabase isn't too big and IF your host doesn't throttle your access, it shuld import fully. Or it could time out and you might not get the entire database installed. Knowing how to use the command line mySQLdump command might com in handy...of course tht will only work if your host supports it and/or allows you to have command line access to the host.

And I know youreyes have probably glazed over by now, but this is the stuff that you have to know how to do when things get bad...or you have to hire someone who know what to do.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 07:35 PM
megumi

14 posts · Jul 2010
Juggledad,
you are absolutely right.
Still trying to get the site right manually, since now its worse and all the spanish letters are gone :-(
NOt fun.

What do you recommend: where can I learn the mentioned tasks online ?
I read a lot - these days and before too - but seems chinese to me. This is something I need a traditional guided class / webinar. A website / book in this case wont do, I have invested many hours, even if it does not look like it.

What do I have to search for, all these terms make me dizzy, and I know its important and am very willing to learn.
Thank you!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 08:17 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Everyone learns in different ways. What I did was to set up sites I don't care about and just start trying many different options. I tried bree and bought and set up backup programs to see what they would do.

Each thing you try has it's own unique way of working with it and often plugins and the like don't have a lot of written documentation.

After you try and fail a bunch of times you start to learn. It really is often just a matter of time and persistence.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:29 AM
megumi

14 posts · Jul 2010
Thank you Imilesw and Juggledad,
well I learned a lot and have a lot to learn,
still the old
I know that I dont know :-)
Thank you.