Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Skitter slideshow

Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:26 AM
apienovi

25 posts · Sep 2011
Hey guys,

I was on a site the other day and I really liked the skitter slider that they were using. I would like to change my header slideshow plugin to the skitter slider from the cimy rotator. I tried putting the php <?php if ( function_exists('show_skitter') ) { show_skitter(); } ?> after %logo but no luck. Im using wordpress 3.2 and atahualpa 3.7.1. Any ideas.

My site is www.kneedeepflyfishing.com

Thanks,
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:38 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
the only PHP allowed in the theme options due to WordPress restrictions, is the new widget area code (since the theme nows it and can parse it)
I would add a new widget area and put your code in it. I just explained this in a thread this morning - someting about using a script morning, day and night
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:20 PM
apienovi

25 posts · Sep 2011
Thanks Juggledad, I created a new widget area and used a php widget to display the skitter slideshow. I'm not sure if you have used the skitter before but I am having two issues with it. First, I'm trying to not have it display on single post pages and category pages so I used the add html and CSS inserts:

body.page #My _header_area{* * display: none;}

body.single #My _header_area{* * display: none;}

Are these commands correct or is something off?

My second problem may be with the plugin itself, but when the home page or any page for that matter loads with the skitter slideshow it looks like something is wrong with the images and it takes a second to load. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:11 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
in your css inserts you have
HTML Code:
body.page #My _header_area'{    display: none;}

body.single #My _header_area'{    display: none;}

#img_src="http://www.kneedeepflyfishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/002949-rounded-glossy-black-icon-media-ipod2.png {
margin: 50px 50px 50px 30px;
}
can you explain how you came up with this and what you think it will do?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:18 AM
apienovi

25 posts · Sep 2011
The first two are intended to not show the header widget to display on pages other than the home page. I believe I obtained them from Larry for my old slider that I was using for my header widget, but they may have gotten screwed up when I changed sliders.

Any ideas, on how it should look if I only want the skitter slider to show on the home page?

The bottom code is working so thats not a problem.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:57 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Please don't take this wrong, but none of that is proper CSS and none of it will work the way it is written.

If you are going to step beyond the basics of the theme options, you need to know what you are doing. If you are going to insert CSS you should know how to write it correctly. There are lots of tutorials on the web and w3schools.com/css is a reference I use all the time.

So I'm going to use this as a teaching opportunity and I want you to do some research and tell me what is wrong with this and why
HTML Code:
body.page #My _header_area'{    display: none;}

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 22, 2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:52 PM
apienovi

25 posts · Sep 2011
Thanks for the css link. I checked out http://w3schools.com/css/css_display_visibility.asp , but I still cant figure it out. What kind of element would the custom widget area be considered?

The only reason I was using the code is because Larry suggested I use it to disable a old slider that I was using and it worked for the cimy rotator. http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=15900 . I figured I could use it for this, but I guess not, since it's not a div.

Bottom line is I'm still having a hard time figuring it out!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:35 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I'll give you a hint what is the name of the ID you want to use in the selector and what do you actually have?

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 23, 2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:36 PM
apienovi

25 posts · Sep 2011
Juggle dad,

After a lot of CSS tutorials and firebug searching I finally figured it out! Thanks for the links and the hints!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:11 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Your welcome. Now you might want to remove the line
HTML Code:
#img_src="http://www.kneedeepflyfishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/002949-rounded-glossy-black-icon-media-ipod2.png{margin:50px 50px 50px 30px}
since it is also invalid CSS