Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Enable Left Sidebar By Parent Page?

Old Aug 25, 2011, 02:56 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
So, our site has a lot of pages and sub-pages due to us being a non-profit and running many different campaigns/focuses/etc. One of the campaign organizers uses the left sidebar all the time, and only a few of the other pages use it. We started out just using the ATO manager to turn off the Left Sidebar on all other pages except for hers, but we've gotten to the point that finding the page number and adding it to the exception area each time we create a new page has become fairly out of hand. We have about 35 pages with only the right sidebar, and 25 pages with both the right and left sidebars.

I have been trying to figure out the most efficient way to use both these layouts. What I would really like would be to make all of the sub-pages for the "campaigns" page have both sidebars (and any page created as a child of those pages also have both sidebars). I have a template for left-column-on, and can make on for left-column-off, and that way if someone wants to make a child page w/out the left sidebar, then can just pick the "off" template. And if someone wants to make a page outside of that section with both sidebars, they can choose the "left-column-on" template.

Is there any way I can do this? Is there any way I can make the theme automatically have all children of the "campaigns" page use both sidebars? It would make things so much easier!

Thanks!!!

<http://sierraclubcalifornia.org/>

Last edited by SC801; Aug 25, 2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:21 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
There is a thread in the gold forum tutorials 'HOWTO: create a 'no sidebar' template (or 1, 2, 3 or 4 sidebar template)' that might help, create themplate and use it for all those pages.

Also there is a post somewhere showing how to make the 'LEFT sidebar: Don't display on Pages:' be a 'LEFT sidebar: Display on Pages:'
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:02 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
There is a thread in the gold forum tutorials 'HOWTO: create a 'no sidebar' template (or 1, 2, 3 or 4 sidebar template)' that might help, create themplate and use it for all those pages.

Also there is a post somewhere showing how to make the 'LEFT sidebar: Don't display on Pages:' be a 'LEFT sidebar: Display on Pages:'
I do know how to make the different kinds of templates, so that shouldn't be an issue.

It may be helpful to change the "Don't display" to "Display", but what I really want is an option to then select a page and have the setting affect all of the children/sub-pages of that page. I would be happy to donate in order to access the gold forum, if could get some help with making that happen. Is it possible? And if I did have it set to "Display" on all sub-pages, and used a template with it set to "off", would that override the dashboard setting?

Please let me know if I would be able to get answers to these questions on the gold forum, and I will ask my boss how we would go about donating to this great theme!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:45 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
First, my suggestions are two separate ways you could do this - (1) template - (2) change the 'Do not display' to just a 'Display'

Could the theme be changed to not display the left sidebar on sub-pages. Sure it 'could' be done, but it would have to be a custom change to the theme. one thing you could try is using CSS to not display the sidebar by using
HTML Code:
body.page-child td#left {display:none;}
only thing is that the space will still be reserved, you just won't see the widgets there.