Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

openxwpwidget plugin broken with 3.6.7

Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:46 PM
linkup

16 posts · Aug 2011
I was working on some client sites updating several plugins including the theme and noticed their OpenX ads no longer displayed. After a lot of sleuthing it seems the upgrade from 3.6.4 to .7 broke the plugin.

They have three sites with this theme. The two I upgraded to .7 no longer display the ads, although their test succeeds. The one site still at .4 works fine. I did the test to change the theme to the default theme and the ads appear fine.

You manually add the ads to whatever posts you want with this text:

{openx:XX}

XX is replaced with the zone id from the OpenX install.

If I can't get this to work with 3.6.7, is their a clean process to revert back to 3.6.4?

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:37 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Did you apply all the patches for 3.6.7 as outlined in the new versions and updating forum?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:00 PM
linkup

16 posts · Aug 2011
I have never had to patch a theme and don't choose to now and none of the patches seemed related in any way to the problem I am experiencing.

I would still like to downgrade to .4 which worked fine vs. taking time to apply patches that don't seem relevant to the problem I am having.

I try to conserve my client's time by not wandering down unknown paths, and didn't think upgrading a theme would cause problems. We had no problems with 3.6.4 and would like to go back until such time as 3.6.X comes out with all these various issues fixed without breaking other things.

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:08 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You can use the manual update method to install 3.6.4 as outlined here. Then you can switch back and forth between versions. This is our recommended way of upgrading the theme.

The patches are just the replacement of some files and the issues listed are not necessarily all they patch.

The manual update will probably take more time as you have to move images into the new images folders and change some path statements.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:01 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
The reason we supply patch's is because of the amount of time it takes for a theme to be reviewed. It can take several weeks. With the changes that had to be made to the theme because of WordPress requirements, a couple issues cropped up. So to allow users to get access to the corrections the fastest, a patched module is created that you just need to drop in, replacing the one with the error.

Then the patches are rolled into the code for the next release.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:09 PM
linkup

16 posts · Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
You can use the manual update method to install 3.6.4 as outlined here. Then you can switch back and forth between versions. This is our recommended way of upgrading the theme.

The patches are just the replacement of some files and the issues listed are not necessarily all they patch.

The manual update will probably take more time as you have to move images into the new images folders and change some path statements.
That would have been fine if I knew I had to research this site before implementing an upgrade. The point is, I want to downgrade, so a link to an upgrade is kind of moot, isn't it? I didn't see a process for reversing the action if you didn't use the process to upgrade in the first place?

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:16 PM
linkup

16 posts · Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
The reason we supply patch's is because of the amount of time it takes for a theme to be reviewed. It can take several weeks. With the changes that had to be made to the theme because of WordPress requirements, a couple issues cropped up. So to allow users to get access to the corrections the fastest, a patched module is created that you just need to drop in, replacing the one with the error.

Then the patches are rolled into the code for the next release.
Wouldn't it be better to roll out beta versions to those who are willing to screw up their blog vs. rolling it out through the update process before all these bugs have been worked out?

I didn't see a warning that doing this update would break my client's blog. I have been operating WP blogs for many years for many clients running various versions of various themes on various versions of WP and I have never had a theme break a working blog or other plug-ins in this case.

If I can't easily do a single patch or if I can't easily step backwards, then I will do as I have done now, and that is to implement an alternative theme. The "added value" if any, to use this theme is outweighed at this point by what it looks like it will take to get their ads running.

I appreciate the help you two are giving, but it seems there isn't an easy way to resolve this issue and retain this theme.

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:53 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkup
he point is, I want to downgrade, so a link to an upgrade is kind of moot, isn't it?
The manual "update" instructions show how to install multiple versions of Atahualpa so you can "upgrade" or "downgrade".

The patches may fix your issues as well.