Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

How can I add a link to the menu bar?

Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:05 PM
mdelaflor

22 posts · Jul 2010
Texas
Hello,

How can I add a link to an external page in the menu bar ?

Thanks,

Mike
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:07 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
go to dashboard->appearances->menus and create your own custom menu and you can add a link.

For more information about the WordPress custom menu's look at WordPress.org and or do a google search
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:23 PM
mdelaflor

22 posts · Jul 2010
Texas
Hello,

I really appreciate your help. Before I post here I have already posted at wordpress.org (gotten no help) and have tried to figure out the problem myself. I also attempt searches of the forum here to see if the question has already been answered. Posting here is basically my last resort.

In Dashboard>Appearances>Menus I have created a new menu and saved it. If I activate it then the menu bar has ONLY the new menu I created and the other menus disappear. If I create a new Custom Link (URL and Label) and save it...nothing happens. It does not appear anywhere. All I want to do is a a simply link to the menu bar to an external page.

I am not sure how much of Atahualpa is controlled by its extensive control sand how much is controlled by the WP Dashboard.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:32 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Atahualpa can automatically create a menu listing all your pages. If you want to add a item to it, you have to edit the theme code to do it.

WordPress allows you to create a 'custom' menu. You can arrange the items anyway you want. put a category as a child of one of your pages. You can create custom links and add them to your custom menu - REMEMBER to hit SAVE after doing this to save the new menu item as a item of your custom menu

you them name your menu in the 'Theme Location' option and 'Menu 1' will show up where you use the '%pages' option in the Atahualpa 'Configure header Area' option - 'Menu 2' relates to the '%cats' item
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:46 PM
mdelaflor

22 posts · Jul 2010
Texas
Which php document do I edit to add a link? The WP Dashboard control is not working with Atahualpa...its either me or Atahualpa but I cannot get it to add a menu (link) to the menu bar.

Mike
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:58 PM
mdelaflor

22 posts · Jul 2010
Texas
Hello again,

I will reiterate that the WP Dashboard>Appearances>Menus controls DO NOT work with Atahualpa...Any attempt to add a new menu makes the Atahualpa menu bar disappear completely. The steps I take are to create and save a new menu then assign it to a Menu (1 or 2). When assigned to menu 1 the Atahualpa menu disappears, when assigned to menu 2 nothing happens. I am pressing the save buttons of course.

I just need to add a simple link (not even a menu) to the menu barto an external web page. Why is it so difficult to do something so simple? I would think that with all of its controls Atahualpa would have a place where a user could a link to the menu bar.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Mar 28, 2011, 04:42 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
?? What version on Atahualpa and wp?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:19 AM
mdelaflor

22 posts · Jul 2010
Texas
Hello,

It's Atahualpa 3.6.4 and WP 3.1. If it's of any assistance my blog is at http://blog.mdcommunications.com. I am freelance illustrator. Thanks again for you help.

Mike
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:38 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The wordpress custom menus do work with atahualpa. If they don't on your site then it could be a plugin conflict or environmental issue.

Does the menu work if you switch to the twenty ten theme (note when you switch themes, you have to go back and reassign the custom menu to the theme menu location)
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:47 AM
mdelaflor

22 posts · Jul 2010
Texas
Hello,

I switched to the default WP theme and the Menu option does not work either. What happens is this; either the menu bar disappears completely (with Atahualpa) or with the WP default them the menu bar is displayed but the original menus disappear and only the new menu is displayed.

I turned off all plugins...and it still does not work. If you have some response please be very specific with your suggestions, so I can talk to my ISP about this issue.

Mike

Atahualpa 3.6.4 WP 3.1
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:19 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
without having access to the backend of the site, I'm just guessing. if you want to send me a PM with a admin ID/PW I'll take a quick look.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:47 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The custom menus work fine. You might want to do a google search to see how you build them. If you look I created a custom menu at your site with a link to the Atahualpa forums.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:24 PM
mdelaflor

22 posts · Jul 2010
Texas
Hello,

Don't I feel stupid...How did you do that? I am not a WP expert but I have been building websites for 15 yrs....I know my way around a script but this one has me baffled.

Mike
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:30 PM
mdelaflor

22 posts · Jul 2010
Texas
Wait, I just noticed that the original Blog Home menu is gone...so I suppose the new Menus take over the menu...I am so confused...sigh..

Mike
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:32 PM
mdelaflor

22 posts · Jul 2010
Texas
What I want to do is ADD a link to the menu bar not replace the menu bar with new links....
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:42 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
With the new custom menu's in WordPress you can create your own menus. You can use the menus you create in a sidebar widget or in the two locations the theme gives you. If you use it in Menu 1, it will replace the Atahualpa automatically generated 'pages' menu. If you use it in place of Menu 2 it will replace the Atahualpa automatically generated Categories menu.

If you want to use the Atahualpa automatically generated 'pages' menu and add a 'extra' link to it, you have to edit the theme code (and remember to document it because you will have to make the same change each time the theme is upgraded)

You can do this by editing bfa_hor_pages.php and concatenating a link to the end of the variable $list_pages_string after line 9. take care to add the appropriate class ID so the hover CSS will effect it.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 07:47 AM
Hody

156 posts · Apr 2012
What line would I need to add there to add one Link called Archive at the last position of the categories Menu bar (bar2) which should open a second web page in a new tab?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 08:17 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Have you read the WordPress documentation on the custom menu's? what have you tried?>
Old Apr 2, 2012, 03:04 PM
Hody

156 posts · Apr 2012
I wanted the utilize the 2nd bar - category menue. I managed to get all categories displayed by adding some code that I found here in the forum to one of the php files.

Now I wanted to add a link called Archive to an third website. But this seem to be impossible to achieve by only using the categories option within the articles menue. I also have tried to use the mentioned custom menue. But even if I add my categories to it only the archive will show up as menue entry...?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 03:29 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Once you use the custom menu you are reaponsible for adding all the menu items. Other than that, with out hacking the theme code you could add the link to the 'Configure Header Area' option and then use CSS to position it in the menu
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hody

156 posts · Apr 2012
Thanks Mr. Mod, I used the menü settings wrong the first time and figured it now, its okay now, as I can mix categories, links and pages - the only downside is that I only get one entry per item and not the in depth menues when only using the categories option.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:16 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
I only get one entry per item and not the in depth menues when only using the categories option
if you mean sub menu's just drag a menu item to the right and it will become a sub menu of the item above it.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:02 AM
Hody

156 posts · Apr 2012
Worked out just fine, thank you.