Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

WP3.1 upgrade produces redirect error - solution maybe!

Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:23 AM
hollidaysjohn

16 posts · May 2010
Cambridge, UK
Hi

I'm running 3.6.4 and did the WP 3.1 upgrade on a shared Windows server. This produced an infinite redirect loop error when accessing the home page. It is suggested that the solution is to disable the canonical redirects which are the real culprit behind the redirect loop.

Solution 1.

Use this plugin:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...edirects-pack/

I did and it worked.

Solution 2, maybe?

Add this to the theme function file:

remove_filter('template_redirect', 'redirect_canonical');
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:28 AM
Knut Sparhell

34 posts · Jun 2010
Fredrikstad, Norway
I can confirm this problem. It will strike after upgrading to WP 3.1 if your server is running Microsoft Internet Information Serverices version 6 (IIS6), which ships with the operating system Windows Server 2003. It is not an issue with IIS7, which ships with Windows Server 2008.

Your admin area will be accessible through /wp-admin (to login), but your entire front end, as long as you are viewing front page, published posts/pages or archives, (draft previewing not included) will be severely affected. Your (visitors) browser will complain that the site is not redirecting properly, and will not show the page.

Solutions: Either install the plugin mentioned in the above post, or similar one containg the line
Code:
remove_filter('template_redirect', 'redirect_canonical');
This line should also work if inserted into functions.php of your theme (in the global scope, outside the actual functions).

Or, delay the upgrade to WP 3.1 until WP 3.1.1 is released.

The bug is (reported by me and) listed on WP Core Trac as being a critical bug to be fixed in 3.1.1. WordPress still supports IIS6 as web server platform, core developer/committer Nacin says.

Some users have complained that they cannot install the plugin, since they cannot log in. If you cannot log in using a direct URL to the admin area, then there are something else going on, too. The /wp-admin path should redirect you properly to the login page, if this canonical redirect bug is the only issue.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:33 AM
hollidaysjohn

16 posts · May 2010
Cambridge, UK
Thanks for the confirmation. My shared host is indeed running IIS6. Curiously, in the past, I've experienced something when trying to change to using my root as the blog address, with WP in a subfolder. I'm now wondering if this is the same problem and may investigate that again.