Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] severe (unreadable) link text alignment problems with Atahualpa in Chrome

Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:57 AM
elainemd

10 posts · Aug 2010
NYC
Hi,

Sorry to bother you, but last night I tried Chrome for the first time, and I didn't notice anything wrong with how my blog, Medical Lessons, appeared. Today it's a mess in Chrome - the links (which are many) are illegible and the general text is strangely aligned. So I tried updating to Atalhualpa 3.6, and that didn't help. (Subsequently I saw your post to not upgrade, so I reverted to 3.5.3).

Bottom line: my site is unreadable in Chrome. Firefox is fine, as is IE, and as far as I know it's OK in MAC systems. Please help!

Thanks,
Elaine

http://www.medicallessons.net
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:58 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I see no problem in Chrome in XP
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:32 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I do see some strange behavior in Chrome. Could you try deactivating Apture and see is the problem persists. If that doesn't fix it try deactivating other plugins. To test issues I am having I usually deactivate all the plugins and if the problem goes away I start reactivating a few at t a time to finde the culprit.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:12 PM
elainemd

10 posts · Aug 2010
NYC
Hi Juggledad, I tried again, and tried also installing Chrome compatibility service packs for older Windows OS's, but there's none for Vista (yes, I know that's the slowest and worst Windows operating system, but that's what I' have for now).

Regardless, I realized that all the other windows in Chrome (NYT, my email, Twitter - which has a zillion links) all look fine. It's only my blog, so it must be a WP and/or bfa coding problem. Also, it's all the text that misaligned, not just the link text, with hyphens added all over the place. The problem doesn't appear in the sidebar widgets.

I've attached a screen shot copied and pasted into a .pdf, in case you want (or have time) to see for yourself.
- Thanks,
Elaine
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ML screenshot in Chrome 1-10-11.pdf (98.0 KB, 1956 views)
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:19 PM
elainemd

10 posts · Aug 2010
NYC
Hi Larry, I tried inactivating the Apture, with no luck.

I have very few plugins I don't use anymore, as I've been disabling them little by little due to loading time problems. (My host company says the plugins were the cause of heavy memory usage and slow load-times, and I think they're right, more or less.) At this point I'm reluctant to disable more, because the few remaining (including a "chrome compatibility" plugin) seem necessary. I can try some of the "social" stuff, but it's hard to believe those are to blame.

The problem is only in the central column posts, not in the widget text in the sidebars, and as far as I can tell is new. (Possibly since the WP upgrade a few days ago?) I don't have tons of traffic, but enough that I think someone would have told me if this has been on-going.

Thank you, ES
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
The idea with deactivating the plugins is just to rule that out as the cause. Another test is to temporarily switch to the TwentyTen theme to see if the problems persist. That would tell us if it is theme related.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:58 PM
elainemd

10 posts · Aug 2010
NYC
I guess I was half-hoping the Atahualpa 3.6 would fix the problem rather than my further "reducing" the appearance of my site. I do think it's Chrome-specific and coding-related.

I did notice, also, that some of the text in widgets (such as my "HON" emblem, on the left side) has messed up alignment, too in Chrome. The standardized Atahualpa widget font (which is usually limiting, if you ask me; I wish I could change it easily) is "protected" from this problem - so that might be a clue as to what's going on.
-Elaine
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:01 PM
elainemd

10 posts · Aug 2010
NYC
Another point - JuggleDad and Larry (?) is that if JD really sees the site without trouble in Chrome, that suggests the problem is with my Chrome settings. Except that all the other websites I've tried in Chrome look as usual.

Thanks again, ES
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:31 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I did have alignment issues with Chrome for links. Also when I hovered over the Apture link in Chrome the left sidebar grew to twice its size.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:34 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I just checked again and your On a "Velazquez Portrait, and the Value of Expertise" looks OK but your Seinfeld post is messed up near hyperlinks.

Oops... just checked again and did notice there is no space between hyperlinks and the items before and/or after them.

Last edited by lmilesw; Jan 10, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:49 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
your problem is caused by the following code that is added in by one of your plugins
HTML Code:
<style type="text/css">
*  {
	text-rendering: optimizeLegibility;
}
sup  {
	vertical-align: 60%;
	font-size: 75%;
	line-height: 100%;
}
sub  {
	vertical-align: -10%;
	font-size: 75%;
	line-height: 100%;
}
.amp  {
	font-family: Baskerville, "Goudy Old Style", "Palatino", "Book Antiqua", "Warnock Pro", serif;
	font-weight: normal;
	font-style: italic;
	font-size: 1.1em;
	line-height: 1em;
}
.caps  {
	font-size: 90%;
}
.dquo  {
	margin-left:-.40em;
}
.quo  {
	margin-left:-.2em;
}
/* because formatting .numbers should consider your current font settings, we will not style it here */
</style>
if you remove it, the links look fine
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:57 PM
elainemd

10 posts · Aug 2010
NYC
Thank you again,
Unfortunately I don't know what else to do at this point. I can't keep changing the theme back to 2010 (I did that in August for a month, due to problems, but it seems unprofessional to keep changing things around, semi-randomly.)

If you have any suggestions about how to fix the alignment problems, other than just unplugging and replugging everything, please let me know. Maybe it's a Chrome problem, and that needs to be addressed by a Google fix? I re-instated the simple image link for now, because taking it out didn't help and I lost images. I'm worried that I may have embedded videos with Apture that are off now, too. What a headache!

Juggledad, are you sure it looks OK to you? I use Vista (which is unfortunate), will try upgrading my OS tonight, but that in itself is a lot of work and not without risk.

Thanks very much,
ES
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:01 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I was originally looking at the sidebar links. I see the issue in the post links (being specific helps speed problem resolution).

As I said in my previous post, there is extra CSS that is causing the problem. You will have to find out what plugin is adding it.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:57 PM
elainemd

10 posts · Aug 2010
NYC
JD, Do you have any idea what kind of plug-in might cause that? I don't have many at all. Also, how would I remove the CSS? Would it be somewhere in the Atahualpa coding? Any advice on this is much appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:11 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
View a page then look at the source. You will see that code in the top part of the source.

Now disable your plugins and repeat the viewing of the source, if it's gone, you know it is a plugin.

Now add them back in and repeat this after each one. When you see the code, you will know which plugin adds it.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:49 AM
elainemd

10 posts · Aug 2010
NYC
Fixed!
Hi JD - the problem was in WP-typography, which I'd recently updated. I was clued into this by Josh, on the WP forum, but his advice led me to the exact CSS insert code problem you'd described, which is at the start of optional CSS in the plugin:

"text-rendering: optimize Legibility"

Upon taking that part out, it looks better. (I tried taking out the whole script, but then it didn't look as good in Firefox.

It all makes sense because I'd just updated/installed WP-typography, a few days ago. I found a useful solution to an old problem I'd had with titles, too. (Will write separately, as it's another topic).

Thank you so much!
-ES