Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Category pages with different blog format than front page

Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:22 PM
mkellam

60 posts · Jan 2011
How might I configure wordpress/atahualpa to list a certain number of blog excerpts on the front page, but a different number of excerpts on the category pages?

Currently, readers have to click to the next page often on category pages to browse because we don't show a large list of posts on the front page and I think it discourages them from browsing as much.

Also, is it possible to set up the category excerpts to be leaner than the front page excerpts? (i.e. to have briefer excerpts on category pages and not include things like how many comments are on that post? I hoped to make it easier for readers to visually scan when browsing category pages.)

I experimented with making my own category pages using the List Category Posts plugin to list 30 posts per page but because it doesn't currently include "next page" options and we have a lot of posts per category, I would have to create a huge number of custom category pages.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Michael
Old Mar 29, 2013, 04:37 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Instead of having a next page you could put a link to the category archive page under the list category posts shortcode.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:49 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
Also, is it possible to set up the category excerpts to be leaner than the front page excerpts? (i.e. to have briefer excerpts on category pages and not include things like how many comments are on that post? I hoped to make it easier for readers to visually scan when browsing category pages.)
not without diging in and modifying teh theme code.