Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

How does one "backup your data"?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:57 PM
flieg

21 posts · Aug 2010
California
How does one "backup your data"?

Good advice: Always backup your data prior to doing an update.

Not so clear: How does one do this? And more importantly, having done so and suffered from disaster, how does one recover?

I realize that this is not an easy question, but a simple procedure for unix-based systems so that someone like me who is working on a remote server knows which directories are critical and which can be ignored unless one has done something like modifying the base php files of Atahualpa (!), would be really nice.

Part of my frustration with the Atahualpa Theme (and in fact with every other theme I have tried) is that the theme writers try to *hide* what's going on.

I'm all for having easy ways to change things, but I also like to know what it is that I have just changed. Perhaps I'm just a cranky old coder who remembers that programs open, read and close input files, and open write and close output files, but I like to know what is going on, even while enjoying the fact that it is easy to make changes. Knowing which files are important, which are not and how to put them back in place would be a boon to me.

If this is actually covered in an FAQ somewhere, whack me upside the head with a clue-by-four and send me there.

-- F.