Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Multisite »

[SOLVED] Widget Area in footer, not even being created

Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:55 PM
GilbertCenter

7 posts · Apr 2009
Seattle, WA
[SOLVED] Widget Area in footer, not even being created

I've been beating my head on this for a couple days. I want to put a widget area in my footer, preferably 3 or 4 side by side, but I can't even get one at this point. I have tested out the minimum sample code and it worked once when I put it in the header (this has been deleted since), but it hasn't worked once when I try to place it in the footer. By this I mean I see no evidence of new widget area(s) on the Appearance > Widgets page, or in the list at the top of the 'add new widget area' page in Atahualpa.

I've searched thru old and new posts about this. I tried the offered code over here: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=8499 - nothing. I reload the public side of the site several times, I reload the Appearance > Widgets page several times, nothing. The only thing I've seen, is that when I use the Examples offered on the "add new widget area" page in Ata 3.5.3, or on the forum page I linked to above, on the public side of my site there is dangling bit of code showing in the footer area [&after_widget='); ?> ].

Using WP 3.0.1, Atahualpa 3.5.3, PHP 5.2.12

Any help would be greatly appreciated! ~Christine
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:10 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
First remove any code for adding a widget area.

Then go to ATO>Add New Widget Areas and delete any that MAY be showing.

NOW...

For a 4 celled widget area you would put the following in ATO>Style & edit Footer>Footer Content as shown here.
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Footer widget area&cells=4&before_widget=<div  id="%1$s" class="footer-widget  %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
Then go to the home page of your site and refresh it a couple of times but make sure you don't have any caching plugins activated.

You should now see some new widget areas in Appearance>Widgets.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:04 PM
GilbertCenter

7 posts · Apr 2009
Seattle, WA
Hi Larry, Thanks so much for jumping in here so quickly. Unfortunately, I still have nothing.

I triple checked that there were no new widget areas listed on the Appearance>Widgets page, deleted the text from the ATO>Footers page and saved, and nothing is listed at the top of the ATO>add-new-widgets-areas page (in the delete section - nothing). There are no caching plugins running on the site. I restarted my browser to be sure everything is clear. Checked after restart. All still clear.

I added your code to the ATO>Style & Edit Footer>Footer: Content section, as in your screenshot. I went to the home page of my site and reloaded it a couple times, and I see the same bit of code showing in the footer as before. You can see it here: http://wpmu.gilbert.org/main/ . I went to the WP>Appearances>Widgets page and reloaded that a couple times. Nothing new has appeared there.

Other than maybe your exact code, I have been through this six times now.

What am I missing? Any ideas?

Thanks very much for your help with this! ~Christine
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:31 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
If you export your style and attach it to a reply I will import and see what I see. Or you could PM me with a login and password and I will look on your site.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 06:26 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Christine... Are you using multisite?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 03:40 PM
GilbertCenter

7 posts · Apr 2009
Seattle, WA
Hi Larry,

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, we've been using WPMU for at least a year, but since WP3 merged over into MU it didn't occur to me to specify that. Is there still a difference there that's causing this problem potentially?

I can still follow up on the export of Atahualpa if it will help. Let me know.

Thanks for all your help here.

~Christine
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:47 AM
stevinoz

61 posts · Sep 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to stevinoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
First remove any code for adding a widget area.

Then go to ATO>Add New Widget Areas and delete any that MAY be showing.

NOW...
Hi lmilesw, was having major problems trying to get existing footer widgets to show but no luck and no solution anywhere but.. followed your instructions and all fixed, your a legend!