Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

add an area above header for a banner ad

Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:50 PM
ellenfinkl

55 posts · Aug 2009
How do I add a new area for content -- like a sidebar -- but above the header?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:53 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
See http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=6606
Old Jun 15, 2010, 03:32 PM
ellenfinkl

55 posts · Aug 2009
Hmm, that was to a link telling me to explain more clearly. I thought it was clear. So I'll try again. You know how Atahualpa provides sidebars? Well, I'd like a similar thing, but above the header. So it would be a horizontal space to insert content. I'd like to be able to specify the size, because I'll need to experiment. Is that better?
Ellen
Old Jun 15, 2010, 05:20 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Item 6 said to explain a little better, items 1-5 wrier trying to encourage you to do some due diligence before asking questions. Look at the 'new widget areas'
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:30 PM
ellenfinkl

55 posts · Aug 2009
I didn't realize I was adding a new widget area. (I thought I had to add a new column and then put a widget in it.) I didn't have the terminology right. Well, I searched in the forum and found the information. Thanks.

Here's what I don't understand in the explanation at Atahualpa Theme Options>Add New Widget Areas.
1. "Note: After you've added new widget areas, you'll need to reload a front end page 1-2 times before they get created and start appearing on the front end. "
Does reload a front end page just mean to display the blog and refresh the browser? If not, what does it mean?

2. "And you'll need to reload WP->Presentation->Widgets 1-2 times before you can see the new widget areas there and start adding widgets."
I think here I can substitute Appearance for Presentation, right? Again, does reload just mean to go to that area in the dashboard, leave it, and go in again?

3. If I put the code given <?php bfa_widget_area('name=My new widget area'); ?> in the Configure Header Area text box before the other text, will the new widget area go above the current header area? Is there any way for me to specify a size or does it take on the size of the content I put into it?

Thanks

Last edited by ellenfinkl; Jun 15, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:05 AM
DannyLife

40 posts · Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenfinkl
I didn't realize I was adding a new widget area. (I thought I had to add a new column and then put a widget in it.) I didn't have the terminology right. Well, I searched in the forum and found the information. Thanks.

Here's what I don't understand in the explanation at Atahualpa Theme Options>Add New Widget Areas.
1. "Note: After you've added new widget areas, you'll need to reload a front end page 1-2 times before they get created and start appearing on the front end. "
Does reload a front end page just mean to display the blog and refresh the browser? If not, what does it mean?

2. "And you'll need to reload WP->Presentation->Widgets 1-2 times before you can see the new widget areas there and start adding widgets."
I think here I can substitute Appearance for Presentation, right? Again, does reload just mean to go to that area in the dashboard, leave it, and go in again?

3. If I put the code given <?php bfa_widget_area('name=My new widget area'); ?> in the Configure Header Area text box before the other text, will the new widget area go above the current header area? Is there any way for me to specify a size or does it take on the size of the content I put into it?

Thanks
1. Yes, refresh a couple times.

2. Yes, refresh a couple times.

3. Yes it does, and if you put nothing in it, it won't show. It will also be centered to align with your page ( I believe, haven't tested it yet).