Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Is BuddyPress worth adding?

Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:48 PM
storyteller05

1 posts · Aug 2010
Is BuddyPress worth adding?

I'm new to this forum and to web design in general, so thanks ahead of time for any help.

Background: I'm currently using Atahualpa 3.4.6. I tried updating my site to WP 3.0.1 from 2.7.1, but my site's page menu dropdowns and arrows got messed up, so I went back step-by-step, and, with WP version 2.8.6, my site once again looked like it should.

Current Issue: I would like to add some functionality to my site -- including a wiki and a forum/message board -- instead of linking to outside sites like Ning or Wikispaces.

Possible plug-ins: WordPress Wiki won't download to my site, however, BuddyPress seems like it would give me the structure I'm looking for (with a few additional plug-ins) to add a wiki and message board/forum to my site.

Question #1 -- Has anyone used BuddyPress to add wiki and forum functionality to their sites? If so, how well does it work?

Question #2 -- BuddyPress requires WP 3.0.1, and I'm afraid to try to upgrade again. Does anyone have an idea why my page menus messed up the first time? (The dropdown arrows disappeared, the dropdown menus themselves got scrunched and the dropdown links were superimposed on each other instead of offset to the side.) The only thing I can think of is that I didn't deactivate my plug-ins before I tried to upgrade. (I only have four activated on my site.)

Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 03:45 PM
Etienne Rosenstiehl

3 posts · Dec 2009
Paris - France
I'm still struggling with BuddyPress so I cannot answer your main question.

Regarding the menu bar, I had the same problem and a solution could be to go to 'add HTML/CSS Inserts' and put in the 'CSS Insert' :

/**
* Fix the page menu bar bug for submenu width
* Reset margin for 2nd+ level items */
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li li {
margin-right: 0;
width: 180px;
}

I found it on this forum but cannot remenber the author.