Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Forum Usage » Forum How-To »

[SOLVED] How to increase distance between words in the sidebars

Old May 10, 2012, 12:37 AM
Marcel

13 posts · May 2012
The Netherlands
Smile [SOLVED] How to increase distance between words in the sidebars

Dear people,

A few months ago I started reading about At. in wordpress and later tried to make my own website. By searches (google, fora etc) I tried to do as much as possible myself. But now I am having some issues I can't solve. Is someone able to help me out?

My website is: http://www.noordzeeresidence-cadzandbad.nl/

* in the left sidebar I would like to increase the distance between the 6 words in white (starting with home).
* in the right sidebar I would like to increase this space as well (between search field, social media and the search button).
* in addition I would like to change the color from Social Media in the right sidebar from black to white and make smaller capitals from it.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Warm regards, Marcel
Old May 10, 2012, 07:20 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
All of what you want is pretty basic CSS. To get the most out of this theme knowing CSS is important. There is much information on w3schools.com. The Firebug extension for Firefox is a tool that you should learn as well.

To give you some examples I just used Firebug to come up with the CSS for your questions as shown below which you would put in ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts.

The first is to increase the line height between the items in the left sidebar. The second is to add more space under the search form and the third is to change the color of the widget title in the right sidebar to white. The fourth bit of CSS would change all widget titles to white which you cold use instead of the third bit of code as I suspect you always want widget titles to be white.

Now to confuse you even more there are often areas in the theme options where you can make some of the changes you might want. In this case you can go to the Style Widgets area and just change the color of the widget title to white using color: #fff;
HTML Code:
#menu-linker-menu {
    line-height: 30px;
}
#search-3 {
    margin-bottom: 20px;
}
#mr-social-sharing-toolkit-widget-2 .widget-title {
    color: #fff;
}
.widget-title {
    color: #fff;
}
I hope that helps.

Last edited by lmilesw; May 10, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:34 AM
Marcel

13 posts · May 2012
The Netherlands
That helped me a lot! Thank you very much.

The only thing I noticed, it now added the name of each page in the middle column too. That was not there before.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:50 AM
Marcel

13 posts · May 2012
The Netherlands
this is what I mean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermafbeelding 2012-05-10 om 15.47.23.jpg
Views:	1248
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1868  
Old May 10, 2012, 09:28 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I noticed I put an extra curly brace at the end of the CSS code by mistake. Try taking that out and see what happens. I have edited the code to what it should have been.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:26 PM
Marcel

13 posts · May 2012
The Netherlands
Isn't it strange?

I deleted that last curly thing: still the same.

So I removed everything to see if it returned to the original setting again. And what surprises me? No. So there must be something else? Very strange, because I did not change other things.