Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Sizing a new widget area

Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:15 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
I've tried to adjust the 'width_x' parameter but I can't seem to get the cells of the widget area to be anything except equally divided in the available space. Also, there is no space between them. They need some kind of padding or margin?? Not sure where to put that.

Here is the URL: http://www.horsemansarts.com

The widget area in question has been put at the bottom of the home page. Any help is appreciated!!

Also, the formatting is different from the widgets in the side bar. I tried removing the before/after html but that didn't change anything. Any other thoughts? Is there a way to format these areas directly?

Last edited by horsemansarts; Sep 1, 2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 07:44 AM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Any thoughts?

Old Sep 4, 2009, 05:31 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
try adding a 'width=...' to the TD
HTML Code:
td.centerwidget_1 {
width: 40px;
}
Old Sep 4, 2009, 03:02 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Thank you for your reply! I assume that I am to put this in to the CSS inserts section? I did that but there isn't any change. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again,
Sharon
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:06 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
I'm really struggling to figure this out! I've got Firebug installed and I've been studying the code TRYING to 'connect the dots'. I have added code to the CSS inserts as suggested (plus various experiments I've tried) and I just can't seem to get it to change anything at all. Could something be overriding?

Thanks in advance,

Sharon
Old Sep 5, 2009, 04:00 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Oh futz, my bad I keep messing up class's and id and wether to use a '.' or a '#'. Change the code to
HTML Code:
td#centerwidget_1 {
width: 40%;
}
the width can be absolute (ie - 40px) or you can use a percentage (65%)

If you use %'s and define it for both columns, the total will be adjusted to 100% even if you don't make it add to 100%. For example if you use 10% and 30% then the first area will be 1/4 the total and the second will be 3/4 the total space.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 07:32 AM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Ah. OK! I thought I'd tried using #, too but I must have had some other detail wrong. What you gave did work. It was very helpful toward getting me to understand how this works. :-) Upon reflection though, it isn't really the width I need to change. What I really want is space between the two widget areas. Is there a way to code that? Another idea I had was to create a third widget area and fill it somehow with 'white space'. What do you think?

Thanks!!!
Sharon
Old Sep 5, 2009, 08:54 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Try this
HTML Code:
td#centerwidget_1 div.post {
	margin-top:80px;
}
Old Sep 5, 2009, 01:04 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Hmmm well that put space above the post. What I want is space BETWEEN centerwidget_1 and centerwidget_2. Can that be done with CSS?

Thanks,
Sharon
Old Sep 5, 2009, 02:15 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
HA! How do you like my solution?

http://www.horsemansarts.com/

Thanks for your help!

Sharon
Old Sep 5, 2009, 02:48 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Good job, that was what I was going to suggest

to anyone else following, she added a third center widget between the other two and gave the widths as 49% 2% and 49%