Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] Moved Menu Bar to Header Image - Space persists between header and body

Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:56 AM
LA's FINE

6 posts · Sep 2010
I inserted the following code at Inserts:

div#menu1 ul.rMenu {
position: relative;
top: -40px;
}

I succeeded in moving the menu bar onto the Header Image - but now there's a space between the header and the body... what am I missing?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:04 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I suggest you go read about CSS Positioning
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:16 PM
LA's FINE

6 posts · Sep 2010
Thanks. Will do! Bookmarked.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 01:16 PM
LA's FINE

6 posts · Sep 2010
OK... I'm clearly a CSS newbie... but I'm guessing that the problem has to do with position. If I set it to "relative", I can get the buttons in the right place, but there's still space between the header image and the body. The space goes away if I change the position to "fixed" or "absolute", but then the buttons don't stay in the right place when I resize.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 04:17 PM
aQuickStudy

43 posts · Mar 2010
You shouldn't need positioning for this. Without a link to the site it's impossible to troubleshoot, but I imagine you have extraneous padding or margins. I'd use Firebug to check it out.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 04:34 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
if you are going to be playing with positioning, I suggest using a fixed width layout.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 04:40 PM
LA's FINE

6 posts · Sep 2010
It is fixed width. I guess where I'm having the learning problem is that I don't completely understand in this situation what relative positioning is relative to.

I have an image that I'm using as the header, and want the menu buttons to appear on the image. I was able to accomplish this by making the background transparent and moving the position of the menu up - but when I do this, a space persists between the image and rest of the content.

If I change from "relative", the space disappears, but the text position changes depending on the size of my browser window.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 05:23 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
instead of using top, try playing with margin-top
Old Jun 2, 2011, 06:06 PM
aQuickStudy

43 posts · Mar 2010
We've discussed via PM but for the benefit of future readers here are the things we've talked about trying:

- trying bottom padding on the menu
- slicing the header image horizontally so that you are using one slice as the menu background and another as the header, with no space between

(those are separate suggestions, by the way)
Old Jun 2, 2011, 06:50 PM
LA's FINE

6 posts · Sep 2010
margin-top! Did it! Thanks!!!

(I have so much to learn)
Old Jun 2, 2011, 06:51 PM
LA's FINE

6 posts · Sep 2010
and thanks also very much to aQuickStudy! Clever solutions indeed!