Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

SIdebars wont show up

Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:17 AM
Phocusmag

25 posts · Jul 2010
www.phocusmag.com
I've stuck videos in them i've stuck widgets in them..nothing will pop up...i know im going to feel stupid when someone posts how to fix this but right now i think somethings wrong.
Also I need to fix the padding or spacing inbetween my widgets in the header..?( everytime I resize the youtube video the video inches away from the slideshow) where would I got to fix it and how?

Last edited by Phocusmag; Jul 28, 2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:38 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what version of Atahualpa and wp?
What options do you have set for sidebars? (see ato->Style & configure SIDEBARS)
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:52 AM
Phocusmag

25 posts · Jul 2010
Atahualpa 3.5.3
wordpress 3.0

I've just selected all the options...where my "categories" on the right hand side are viewable is that my inner side bar or my outer? In any case how would I just change the color of the whole side bar or cell that my widgets will go in so it will be easier to differentiate from the center or the main body of the site and why isn't anything on the left side showing up..?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:52 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Also what are the alignment setting for the widgets in the header?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:59 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
First of all how many sidebars to you want and where? If you want one sidebar on the left and one on the right set the Right Outer and Left Outer to show on the pages you like. Then put widgets in them for whatever you want.

If looks like you have the Left Inner turned on with no widgets in it.

There are default items that will show in some sidebars when you have not put any widgets in them. Once you add a widget those defaults go away and all you have to do is add, for instance, the categories widget. That is how most set up the sidebar. That is to not rely on the default "widgets".
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:26 AM
Phocusmag

25 posts · Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Also what are the alignment setting for the widgets in the header?
cells=2&align=1&align_2=2&before_widget
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:07 AM
Phocusmag

25 posts · Jul 2010
Quote:
First of all how many sidebars to you want and where? If you want one sidebar on the left and one on the right set the Right Outer and Left Outer to show on the pages you like. Then put widgets in them for whatever you want.

If looks like you have the Left Inner turned on with no widgets in it.

There are default items that will show in some sidebars when you have not put any widgets in them. Once you add a widget those defaults go away and all you have to do is add, for instance, the categories widget. That is how most set up the sidebar. That is to not rely on the default "widgets".
This is the setup i was going for two side bars

Last edited by Phocusmag; Jul 30, 2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:03 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
The problem you are running into is that the sidebars cannot go the full height. The only way I can think of (and I haven't tested) is to:
  • Start with Right Outer and Left Outer sidebars turned on
  • Create a 3 celled widget area in ATO>Style & edit HEADER AREA>Configure Header Area and take everything but the widget code out of that box.
  • Now go the WP>Appearance>Widgets and look for the middle widget area of the three you just created and put a 2 cell widget area in there for you featured slideshows and youtube vids. Also put a 1 cell widget area under the 2 cell widget area for your menus and social icons
  • Now you will have 6 new widget areas in which you will put a slider widget, youtube vid widget, menu widget, cat widget, and ads.
The widths of the 2 outer cells of the 3 celled widget area will need match up with the width of the Right and Left outer sidebars.

Here is a screen shot that gives you an "idea" of what I am talking about as this is a rather complex layout.

This whole thing wold be a lot easier if you didn't try to go full height on the sidebars.

As you can see this is the kind of stuff that's pretty hard to describe clearly. But if you want to proceed I would get real familiar with "New Widget Areas"
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:51 PM
Phocusmag

25 posts · Jul 2010
Quote:
The problem you are running into is that the sidebars cannot go the full height. The only way I can think of (and I haven't tested) is to:[*]Create a 3 celled widget area in ATO>Style & edit HEADER AREA>Configure Header Area and take everything but the widget code out of that box.[*]Now go the WP>Appearance>Widgets and look for the middle widget area of the three you just created and put a 2 cell widget area in there for you featured slideshows and youtube vids. Also put a 1 cell widget area under the 2 cell widget area for your menus and social icons
s"
This is where you lost me how do I go about putting a 2 cell widget in the wigets area ...do If irst put a text widget in and add the php... as www.phocusmag.com is now is it safe to assume that I need to resize the slide show and you tube vid becuase of the way they are stacking instead of spanning the area in the center like I want them? Or is there a way to adjust the width of the widgets in the "Configure Header area" .. and another question how in the world do I change the font color for each page... is it the phop? becuae I 've looked in most of the ATO theme options
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:27 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Yes you would be putting a widget area inside a widget area and as I said I haven't tested. The two celled widget area I suggested putting into the center widget area is where I would put the vid and slide show as those two cells would be side by side. You can use code to size the widget areas. This is not something I can write a step by step on as it is untested and may require tweaking along the way. I would just start creating and if it looks like it isn't working just delete the widget areas. Also remember that this non-standard design may slow things down a bit.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:44 PM
rhondace

1 posts · Jan 2013
I don't want any of the options available in the Left Sidebar and Right Sidebar in Style and Configure Sidebars. When I go to add the widgets I want to the sidebars under "widgets" they don't display.

How can I have my sidebars show the content I want them to show - most of which is not an option in the theme?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:09 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
rhondace:
1) your question doesn't make any sence
2) this thread is from 2010 so I'm closing it

pelase open a new thread and give your atahualpa and wordpress versions and URL pointing to the issue and a detailed description of your issue.