Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

[SOLVED] Adsense sidebar widget troubleshooting

Old May 31, 2013, 01:10 AM
Rincevent

16 posts · Jan 2013
Hi all,

I got a strange troubleshooting using Adsense block in a widget sidebar.

Loading the page, the block seems to display correctly but a the end of the loading or resizing (from time to time) the page, the Adsense block is truncated: white color recover partially on the right and on the botton.
It looks like the widget was resized with a too small size.

I tried to disable plug-ins but the same trouble lie.

You can see this on http://www.2tout2rien.fr/ , looking at the adsense block on top right.

It doesn't appear using another theme.

Did this kind of problem appear to someone else using Montezuma?
Old May 31, 2013, 06:51 AM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
It looks like adsense wants more room than the theme gives it in the sidebar.

Try changing your template from an 8-4 grid to a 7-5. Here's a post about that.
Old May 31, 2013, 07:21 AM
Rincevent

16 posts · Jan 2013
Thank for your answer but i had a look at some other blog using montezuma and adsense: they don't seem to have the same problem even they use the same grid and same adsense block.

May be i juste made a bad modification while customizing the CSS.

Even you think it's clear how to change the grid with the documentation, it remains at this time very confusing for me. I need to understand correctly before trying
Old May 31, 2013, 08:53 AM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincevent
Even you think it's clear how to change the grid with the documentation, it remains at this time very confusing for me. I need to understand correctly before trying
Make a test template and a test page and play with it, giving each div a different background color, and it should be rather clear. It's not that complicated if you can count to 12.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:36 AM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
It doesn't look like the problem is with Montezuma. When I look at the widget using Firebug, I see a line that looks like this:

<iframe id="aswift_0" width="280" scrolling="no" height="233.33333333333334" frameborder="0" style="left:0;position:absolute;top:0;" name="aswift_0" ...

When I use Firebug to change the width to 300 and the height to 250, which are the dimensions of the image, then the whole image appears. So I don't know if this is a problem with the QuickSense plugin or not.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:49 AM
Rincevent

16 posts · Jan 2013
I tried first a simple text widget before quickadsense and the result was the same.

To avoid confusion, i just came back to a classic text widget.

The Adsense block should be 300X250...
Old May 31, 2013, 03:05 PM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
OK, now I'm thinking the col4 column on the grid that you've chosen is too narrow, since it's a fixed 320px column, and with 20px of padding on either side, that brings the true width down to 280px, and I'm thinking maybe the AdSense script is setting the iFrame width based on that.

A few things to try. Probably the easiest is to try switching to a Responsive 100% grid and see if that solves the problem (although you may see the problem reappear at narrow browser widths). Or, as JerryC suggested, go into your index.php, single.php, and page.php settings and change from col8/col4 to col7/col5. Or custom code the widths, making sure the pixels all add up to 960 (including any margins you place on the columns).

You said there were some other sites using Montezuma where it's not happening. Can you post a URL here so I can take a look at what they're doing?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:42 AM
Rincevent

16 posts · Jan 2013
Effectivly, changing the column can make the full adsense be displayed.

After verification, the Ad i saw in another montezuma blog was a 250x250.

May be i should reduce my block, but it's a bad news.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 05:32 AM
Rincevent

16 posts · Jan 2013
In fact, troubles appear as the window is resized.

May be the best solution is to use a non responsive grid... and a mobile plugin. Wich is unnatural for this theme.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:33 PM
Rincevent

16 posts · Jan 2013
Solved. It was in fact a widget call flexible recent post that causes this strange effect.
My bad.