Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] Taxonomy causes sidebars to disappear

Old Aug 22, 2009, 02:10 AM
ncitravel

7 posts · Aug 2009
Hi Flynn,
I'm using "Custom Taxonomies" to create a taxonomy called 'hotel'. Using a widget to Choose Hotel, both the Atahualpa sidebars disappear (whether left+right or both right). I've tried to use a taxonomy-hotel.php file based on the index.php file, to no avail. It seems to have a problem somewhere in the footer.php file (?). Can you help?
Old Aug 22, 2009, 04:40 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what version of Atahualpa, WP, PHP?
What is the URL?
Is the widget part of the 'Custom Taxonomies' or a different widget? if so what is it?
IF you are on WP 2.8.x did you note the message at the plugin homepage? -
Quote:
If you are using WordPress 2.8, might I recommend Simple Taxonomies, which has a few of the features I’ve been waiting for better APIs to implement.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 09:21 AM
ncitravel

7 posts · Aug 2009
Ata 3.4.2, WP 2.8.3 (although was also same with 2.7.1), PHP 5.x, URL www.nctravel.com.au. The widget was part of 'Custom Taxonomies'. I've also installed 'Simple Taxonomies' since the upgrade to 2.8 and using their widget I get the same result with the sidebars' disappearance. Really sorry for the lack of info. On the right side bar, 'Choose Hotel' is from Simple Taxonomies' & the 2nd 'Choose Hotels' is from 'Custom Tax' (I tried deactivating the latter but re-installed it to show you).

BTW your theme has potential to infiltrate the entire web as it is the most friendly, adaptable and feature packed solution openly available. Congratulations.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 08:08 AM
ncitravel

7 posts · Aug 2009
Hi Juggledad,
Is there no-one else on the planet who uses Atahualpa with Taxonomy technology ? Is this post in the too hard basket? I've been trying really hard to get the theme working but I may have to swap as I'm now at "squeeze point". Please talk to me.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:03 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I've had no experience with Taxonomy so I'd be starting from scratch.

Do you have anything filled in at
ATO->Style & configure SIDEBARS->LEFT sidebar: Don't display on Pages:
ATO->Style & configure SIDEBARS->LEFT sidebar: Don't display on Categories::
ATO->Style & configure SIDEBARS->RIGHT sidebar: Don't display on Pages:
ATO->Style & configure SIDEBARS-> RIGHT sidebar: Don't display on Categories:
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:32 AM
ncitravel

7 posts · Aug 2009
that's a shame. No, there's nothing in the above fields. In "RIGHT sidebar: Display on:" all boxes are checked. This doesn't happen in other themes, so I assume its because of the unique way ata handles page.php.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:49 AM
ncitravel

7 posts · Aug 2009
I have also tested it on a virgin site with no extra plugins except the pre-installed ata ones, and I still have the sidebars disappear.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:52 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
ok, I just reproduced it, let me take a look...
Old Aug 29, 2009, 04:40 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Ok, thanks to Flynn, here is how to handle it for now.

Edit bfa_get_options.php and find line 188 which should be
HTML Code:
// Put the sidebar results into our global options variable in case we need it somewhere else:
now add the following right before that line
HTML Code:
if ( is_archive() AND !(is_tag() OR is_author() OR is_date() OR is_category())) { 
    $cols = 3; /* center column + number of sidebars */
     $left_col = "on";
    # $left_col2 = "on";
    $right_col = "on";
    #$right_col2 = "on";
}
where
$left_col = left
$left_col2 = left inner
$right_col = right
$right_col2 = right inner
and you want to comment/uncomment the sidebar's you are using.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:19 PM
ncitravel

7 posts · Aug 2009
As the young ones say; "You Rock Man !!" That is the perfect solution. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. This opens up incredible doors for searching and categorizing.