Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Unable to change themes after using theme switcher plugin??

Old Aug 2, 2009, 01:15 PM
jack96161

66 posts · May 2009
After loading and experimenting with A 3.3.3, I loaded the theme switcher plugin to try alternative themes - including Atahualpa. It appeared to work, but I quickly settled on Atahualpa and removed the theme switching plugin to clean up the sidebar it was in.

Now my Wordpress (2.8.2) installation is very confused about changing themes with the normal admin page instead of the plugin - the Themes admin page indicates a change to a new template, but visiting the page results in using the previous template. After re-installing the plugin, it appears to be able to switch themes again, but things are still confused.

This may be a bug in the plugin, but I'd really like to understand how Atahualpa addresses it's theme files. According to the message on the WP Theme Admin page when Atahualpa 3.4.2 is activated "All of this theme’s files are located in /themes/atahualpa342", however, when I visit the page and view the Page Source, it is addressing "/themes/atahualpa" - which exists, but has earlier version of the theme. Is the directory name "atahualpa" hard wired somewhere in the Atahualpa theme? Is there a problem having multiple versions of Atahualpa loaded in a given WP installation?

Who determines where a theme's files are located - Wordpress or Atahualpa?

Jack
Old Aug 2, 2009, 01:31 PM
jack96161

66 posts · May 2009
OK, more info -- apparently, if you have the theme switcher plugin installed, the only way to change themes is to use the plugin - removing it from a sidebar to the "inactive" widgets doesn't seem to completely remove it from confusing WP's normal theme switching mechanism. Not Atahualpha's problem -- I'll have to investigate this further.

Also, the theme name indicated in style.css appears to be "atahualpa" regardless of which release, causing atahualpa342 to run using files from the "atahualpa" directory. All this works if you always load a new version of Atahualpha in place of the old one - in a directory named simply "atahualpa". Having several releases loaded at once under different names takes a bit more work than should be necessary.

Jack
Old Aug 2, 2009, 09:37 PM
Nelson

3 posts · Jul 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack96161
OK, more info -- apparently, if you have the theme switcher plugin installed, the only way to change themes is to use the plugin - removing it from a sidebar to the "inactive" widgets doesn't seem to completely remove it from confusing WP's normal theme switching mechanism. Not Atahualpha's problem -- I'll have to investigate this further.

Also, the theme name indicated in style.css appears to be "atahualpa" regardless of which release, causing atahualpa342 to run using files from the "atahualpa" directory. All this works if you always load a new version of Atahualpha in place of the old one - in a directory named simply "atahualpa". Having several releases loaded at once under different names takes a bit more work than should be necessary.

Jack
Hi Jack, I ran into this myself ... the problem is that the theme switcher uses a cookie to remember the theme you used last. The only way to get your admin theme switch to work again is to remove the theme switch plugin cookie in your browser's cache.

Hope this helps,

Nelson
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:12 AM
jack96161

66 posts · May 2009
Thanks Nelson -- I was afraid the theme switcher had done something more malicious to my WP installation. Makes perfect sense to consider cookies (now that you point it out!) but I wouldn't have thought of it until I'd burned hours looking elsewhere!

Cheers,
Jack