Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Pages vs. Categories vs. Tags

Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:13 AM
rottwlrmom

15 posts · Apr 2010
I'm coming from blogger and I'm kinda stumped and amazed at how difficult this is.

I've finally figured out that tags one blogger = categories here....not sure what tags are here thought.

Here's my biggest issue. I'm tryign to make a blog that functions as a beadmaker's website.

Most of those have some chit chat on the front page with small pics which lead to categories with actual buy listings. I've figured out that each post can be a new buy listing but

1) How do I not make part or all of the buy items list on the home page?

2) is there a way to just make my chit chat only appear on the home page?

Thank you!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:45 AM
rottwlrmom

15 posts · Apr 2010
I've tried doing this using the Meta Description... but the whole post is showing in chat (home) and the abbreviated one is showing in the category...which is the shopping area... That's backwards from what I need.

Any help appreciated!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:08 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
Here are two links to help you understand Wordpress tags vs. categories.

http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2005/09...and-which-one/

http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2006/03...gories-got-it/

Categories should be like a table of contents while tags should be like the index of a book. An example of a category would be "News" or "Debates" while the tags could be "orange beads" or "red beads".

1) You can set the number of blog entries (or in this case, bead ads) to be how ever many you want on the front page. The rest will go on to page 2, page 3, and so on.

2) You could set "chit chat" as a category and then have the home page set to be that category page.

In WordPress go to Setting>Reading. You need to use the "Static Page" setting to do what you want.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 06:01 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
If you could share your URL (use www.bit.ly) or message it to me, that would also help.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:43 AM
sellhealth

1 posts · Apr 2010
pags are mainly pages that will be there and static most of the time

tags are for reference within the site so you can see what tags are from with pages

they are differnet from meta tags in SEO

categories are certian blocks where your post should be put into like news, articles, updates, publications
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:59 PM
rottwlrmom

15 posts · Apr 2010
Thank you both... this has helped alot!

http://bit.ly/c2wA28

Last edited by juggledad; Apr 12, 2010 at 06:38 AM.