Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] Adding social sharing buttons to header

Old Apr 7, 2013, 07:42 PM
sking

6 posts · Apr 2013
I'd like to add social media sharing buttons (facebook, twitter, Google+, etc...) to the position where the Subscribe to RSS Posts and Comments buttons are located in the header. Is it possible to do that?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 08:39 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
It is possible. You could...
  • Add the proper code to perhaps the Configure Header Area box wrapped in div with an ID and then style with CSS.
  • Add a new widget area to that same box and use a widget in the created widget and style with CSS
There are many ways to accomplish this depending on your level of experience with the theme and CSS.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:56 PM
sking

6 posts · Apr 2013
...I am new to web designing (and this theme); but am finding it easy to learn. Will try option 2.
I see that "Add new Widget Areas" under ATO seems self-explanatory. Will type back if I run into any glitches...Thanks lmilesw.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:49 AM
sking

6 posts · Apr 2013
ok...I've added the widget area and a widget. I need some help in finding out how to style it in CSS though...and the location to add the code. I could do it in the css file directly...but I guess it will be reset when I upgrade Atahualpa.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 02:54 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Use the FireBug extension of firefox to examine the code and then add your CSS to the themes 'CSS Inserts' option
Old Apr 8, 2013, 03:42 AM
sking

6 posts · Apr 2013
Thanks juggledad....

I have attached a pic of what I want to do.
Basically....I want to replace the search-box <div> with my widget <div> in the same cell.
The problem is....when I disable the search-box in Atahualpa(don't need the searchbox), the <td> get deleted as well. Then my widget <div> gets created as in a new <tr> instead of <td>....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T1.png
Views:	1000
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	2306  
Old Apr 8, 2013, 04:29 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
1) what is the url
2) where did you add your new widget area
Old Apr 8, 2013, 09:09 AM
sking

6 posts · Apr 2013
I put this code "<?php bfa_widget_area('name=SocialSharingButtons&align=3 '); ?>" in the configure header area after %logo.

The result is that the widget appears below the %logo row...whilst I am looking to add a column to the right of the %logo so that I can make use of the space there.

Any ideas?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 09:49 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
For positioning as you want I generally set the position for #wrapper or #container to relative and then use absolute position for the the item in question which in your case is the social sharing buttons.

As a subnote you can use spaces between the words in the name attribute. This makes it a bit cleaner when looking at the widgets.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
the url???
Old Apr 9, 2013, 01:20 AM
sking

6 posts · Apr 2013
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm doing more research of #wrapper and #container and absolute positioning. Will post back when I'm successful.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:36 AM
canhtt

2 posts · Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
It is possible. You could...
  • Add the proper code to perhaps the Configure Header Area box wrapped in div with an ID and then style with CSS.
  • Add a new widget area to that same box and use a widget in the created widget and style with CSS
There are many ways to accomplish this depending on your level of experience with the theme and CSS.
tks, it worked