Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Problem with new Full Header option in 3.7.13

Old Dec 17, 2013, 07:33 AM
eleanorb

41 posts · Nov 2010
In a local version of my website (olderwomensnetwork.org), I upgraded WP to 3.8 and then Atahualpa to 3.7.13. I resaved "style and edit Header" with Full Width Header option=No and "style and edit Footer." Now, one of my header components extends beyond the defined page (screen shot here): olderwomensnetwork.org/images13/OWNwithNo.png

I then switched the Full Width Header option to Yes, and it looks like this, with the page boundaries not observed in either the pattern top header or the picture strips: olderwomensnetwork.org/images13/OWNwithYes.png

How to get it back to the original (online version at olderwomensnetwork.org)? Or should I not upgrade just now?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 08:35 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Even on your 3.7.12 site the header image extends beyond the header if you resize the window. You may be able to hide the overflow with CSS or use a repeating pattern plus a title image for the header instead of a single image.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:23 AM
eleanorb

41 posts · Nov 2010
Thanks for this diagnosis. However, I was never bothered by the problem (overflow at reduced size) which apparently exists in 3.7.12 ! Suppose I just want to correct the overflow-at-full-size problem in 3.7.13 -- any ideas?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:00 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
How wide is the largest you allow the page to be? ato->Style & configure LAYOUT->Layout MAX width?
how wide is your logo image?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:17 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
When you set the new option 'Full Width Header' to 'yes', the header will fill the browser window. If your image is not wide enough, it will look truncated. make the image wider than the widest browser you can imagine .
Old Dec 17, 2013, 04:36 PM
eleanorb

41 posts · Nov 2010
My problem is not truncation but overflow -- the image is extending beyond the visual borders of the page. Layout max width = 1100 I would guess that the header(s) are the same, since when I expand the window size (in the online version), the extra space becomes margin and the visible page is the same width as the headers.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 04:39 PM
eleanorb

41 posts · Nov 2010
Another small problem. In the 3.7.12 version (online), the dropdown menus are aligned flush left, but in the updated version, the menu titles are centered on the dropdown space. What setting controls that?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 05:41 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Full Width header means the width of the browser window, not the width you define in the 'Style & configure LAYOUT' options. For example if 'Full Width header' is NO and you fill in the 'Layout WIDTH and type' as 1000px and you open your browser 2000px wide, all the parts of the page will be in a 1000px area. If you set 'Full Width header' to YES then the header will now be 2000px since that is the width of the browser window.

The header is comprised of the header image, logo area, menus and bar1 and bar2 and anything else you put in the 'Configure Header Area' option.

I hope this helps you understand what it does.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 08:25 PM
eleanorb

41 posts · Nov 2010
Thank you! But why is the "logo" (the blue patterning) not being constrained to the 1100 pixels like the other header elements, in the updated version? (see olderwomensnetwork.org/images13/OWNwithNo.png )
Old Dec 18, 2013, 08:23 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You could perhaps use the following in the CSS Inserts section of the ATO
HTML Code:
#header {
    overflow: hidden;
}
Figuring out a fix is often quicker than trying to determine the "why"
Old Dec 18, 2013, 04:18 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
on your site that is full width - go to ATO->export/import and copy the export to a TEXT file and attach it to a reply (use the paper clip icon)
Old Dec 18, 2013, 05:08 PM
eleanorb

41 posts · Nov 2010
Thanks, lmilesw! That CSS insert fixed it perfectly! Eleanor
Old Dec 18, 2013, 05:22 PM
eleanorb

41 posts · Nov 2010
However... now the dropdown menus don't drop down more than half a width! (see olderwomensnetwork.org/images13/screenshot.png where menu Resources is being clicked on).
Old Dec 19, 2013, 05:44 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
that link gets a not found -
where is the export?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 02:27 PM
eleanorb

41 posts · Nov 2010
Woops! Sorry, here it is: olderwomensnetwork.org/images13/screenshot.png
Old Dec 19, 2013, 02:58 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
that also gets a not found.

If you want som help it is a lot easier on us if you can point to the active site so we can look at it with firebug.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 04:03 PM
eleanorb

41 posts · Nov 2010
Okay one more try... Sorry, here it is: olderwomensnetwork.org/images13/Screenshot.png
needs a capital letter...

I can't link you to the live site, because it's on my local computer. Good thing, or the live site would be live with all these problems! I upgraded the live site to WP 3.8, but it is still at Atahualpa 3.7.12 until I find a way to fix the troubles. Thanks, and sorry, again!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 06:37 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
so why don't you have a play site on your online server? Make it a subdomain of your current site like play site.olderwomensnetwork.org

Teh image doesn't tell me much except that the z-index is probably messed up somewhere, but without access to teh site that's all I can tell you.

use Firebug and see if you can add a z-index to the menu items and increase it's value to make it show over the content.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 06:41 PM
eleanorb

41 posts · Nov 2010
Sorry, that explanation doesn't mean anything to me... I think I'm not sophisticated enough to follow your various suggestions! I guess I'll just stay with the 3.7.12 Atahualpa, which is working well for me. Thanks!