Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating » Old Version fixes and change logs »

if you are getting blank page with Atahualpa 3.6.x (Suhosin issue)

Old Feb 7, 2011, 01:04 PM
Koukla

11 posts · Jan 2011
Thank you for clarifying things for me. I will check on the dreamhost forums how to edit these suhosin options.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 01:39 PM
Tatsu

6 posts · Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
The issue with Suhosin has a solution. You need to add a line of code to the php.ini to whitelist some code. Will this ever change?? who knows. The theme was using the 'eval()' php function, but WordPress now forbids the use of it to protect users from malicious code. Flynn - the developer of Atahualpa, was forced to change the code to user 'stream wrappers' to keep some of the functionalaty of the theme working. Suhosin prevents the use of 'stream wrappers' unless you shut that Suhosin option off, or create a whitelist.
Is there anything that plug-in developers can do to avoid this problem? It looks like certain combinations of plug-ins and Atahualpa are what cause the issue to manifest. I wish I knew more about WordPress development so I could be of more help.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 02:39 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Oh if only there was a way to have the hundreds of plugin and theme developers use the same naming conventions and standards...I mean, the big software companies all agree on the same standards...oh wait, that's right, they don't....sigh
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:20 PM
malguy

1 posts · Feb 2011
Montréal, Québec
Thank you very much for the solution suggested below of adding the following line to my php.ini file: suhosin.executor.include.whitelist bfa:// which resolved the problem on HostPapa with WP 3.0.5 and Atapualpa 3.6.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
If you are unable to activate or even preview 3.6.x give these a try and let us know if one of the following work.

First add the following to your .htaccess file
HTML Code:
php_value suhosin.executor.include.whitelist bfa://

Or perhaps this instead

php_value suhosin.executor.include.whitelist "bfa://"
If that doesn't work, add the following line to your php.ini file in the root (public_html) folder of your site.
HTML Code:
suhosin.executor.include.whitelist bfa://

Here is an alternative syntax

suhosin.executor.include.whitelist = bfa://
If you don't have a php.ini file you can either create one with that line in it or just download the attached zip file, unzip and upload the included php.ini to your root folder. The attached php.ini zip file has the first syntax.

see also: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12673
Old Feb 18, 2011, 04:58 AM
alexjb

1 posts · Feb 2011
This is incredibly frustrating. I'm transferring a site using 3.6.1 from one server to another, and lo and behold I get all of these errors.

I don't even have Suhosin installed on my server, which mean now I've got to try and determine why exactly it's not working. Will investigate and get back to you all.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:47 AM
Hamlet

12 posts · May 2009
This helped me

PHP Code:
suhosin.executor.include.whitelist bfa:// 
Old Feb 19, 2011, 06:35 PM
Larrycook

1 posts · Feb 2011
I understand that there is a Suhosin issue (which, I have no idea what that means) and that is why I have a white screen. I had installed this theme on another account, and liked it so much thought I'd install it onto my own. Never had any problems on the other account. My current one is an add onto my current website (a sub directory). I don't know what Suhosin means, and I see I'd have to go into files and start changing things, and not have any assurance there will be success. Sorry guys, but with zillions of themes to choose from that do work, this is just too much effort!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:08 AM
Freester

7 posts · May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
add the following line to your php.ini file in the root (public_html) folder of your site.
HTML Code:
suhosin.executor.include.whitelist bfa://
This one worked for me, at least to get rid of the blank page. I have a few other issues but I will follow those up in the appropriate thread... Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:35 AM
adrian

12 posts · Feb 2011
Hello.

1. I have no experience in PHP, CSS or whatever to build a website. In web hosting, just to set up Wordpress.

2. According to me. The problem is not suhosin, my shared hosting does not have suhosin installed.

3. The problem is not a plugin, I've tried a fresh installation and no plugin.

4. I've also tried installing version 3.6.4 in a different folder. With or without 3.5.3.

5. In all cases there is a white screen, but I should explain the side bars can be seen, left or right. I have several menu and look on the screen without problem. But the center column does not appear.

As I have no knowledge of these things, very likely I'll say something stupid.

In version 3.6.4 should be a code that tries to do things with suhosin, but at the same time, hinder the operation when suhosin is not present.

That's because those who do have suhosin installed, solve the problem with the solution presented here. But those like me, and some have said here, do not solve the problem with the solution for suhosin.

Thank.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:38 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
How did you determine that your shared hosting does not have Suhosin installed.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:57 AM
adrian

12 posts · Feb 2011
Beside that, you can ask the web hosting. I've searched my info.php.

I use three resources without having to ask the web hosting.

1. In my web hosting forum, a clear answer, we do not use, and we do not plan to use Suhosin.

2. I look at the support page of my web hosting, there is no word on Suhosin.

3. My info.php, when I add the recommendation made here, and then refresh my info.php.
My php.ini, do not add the code because Suhosin not installed.

I think what happens is that some web hosting want to give customers more freedom, although they have more work. Other web hosting, solve problems easily, limiting the customer with Suhosin.

lmilesw. Thanks for your quick response.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:11 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
adrian - what is your url?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:41 AM
adrian

12 posts · Feb 2011
If I have done this well, the URL of my Spanish website is in contact information.

juggledad. Thanks for your quick response.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:29 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
It looks like you switched back to 3.5.3 so I can't see anything about the 3.6.4 issue.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:40 AM
adrian

12 posts · Feb 2011
Not sure if this can help. I'm adding a screenshot, in addition I am sending a message to your account with a file from the source page.

Thanks for coming to this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ata_364.jpg
Views:	1664
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1182  
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:49 AM
adrian

12 posts · Feb 2011
You know what happens, in ATA 3.6.4, all the header is left out.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:19 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
adrian - All indications are that you have the suhosin issue. looking at the generated source you sent me, everywhere a <?php include('bfa://xxxxxxx') ?> (where xxxxx= some variable) the processing is bypassed.

This leads me to believe your site must prevent the code from running, but does not give you a warning or an error, just skips over it. That or any warning messages are not going to the screen, then are going to an error log somewhere.

You need to contact your host and ask them how to whitelist something to suhosin
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:28 PM
bushtool

93 posts · May 2009
FYI

I had this problem and went back to 3.53 rather than try to fix. Just upgraded to Wordpress 3.1, activated 3.6.4 again and the problem is no longer. 3.6.4 is now finding the database. I use Bluehost. Yippee!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:34 PM
adrian

12 posts · Feb 2011
Okay juggledad, I went to open a ticket with my web hosting account. This was the response I received.

-
We apologize for any confusion earlier. Suhosin is not installed on our shared servers, no whitelisting should be needed.
-

This is Hostgator.

bushtool, thanks for your comment, I was afraid to upgrade my WordPress, because it could break ATA 3.5.3

In my case, when I upgrade WordPress, nothing changed, ATA 3.6.4 keeps the white screen.

Then I continue with my last comment on this, the header does not print.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:26 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Adrian - see the PM to you
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:35 AM
ChrisR

4 posts · Jan 2011
Rendsburg, Germany
Hello everybody,

I'm completly confused because my english isn't so perfect. I'm using Ver. 3.5.3 with WP 3.1 which works fine so far. All 3.6 versions are displaying a white screen. My hoster is using PHP 5.2.13. These are the facts so far.

I tried the suggestions with the Suhosin-issues. Every try ran in an 500 Internal Server error. I asked my hoster (Speicherzentrum.de) if Suhosin is installed and his answer is:

"das Problem liegt daran, daß das Script 256M Speicher belegen will, was ich aber nicht freigeben kann." The Problem is the script wants to use 256M of memory what I can't allow.

My conclusion: With this hoster I never will be able to use Atahualpa 3.6.x and above?

Greetings
Chris
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:02 AM
adrian

12 posts · Feb 2011
Okay, I have to explain how I solved my problem with ATA-3.6.x, and the white screen.

I add part of an email that I send to juggledad;

Quote:
I need to apologize to you, in fact and in my case, the problem was php.ini, but not suhosin, in my php.ini I had a configuration error with something called;

open_basedir =

That is a kind of firewall applied to a specific directory. When I corrected my mistake, everything came to be cute with ATA 3.6.4
Anyone reading this should note that I have no experience in this, as I mentioned above.

According to me;

suhosin causes the white screen, but not always, some of us do not have that application installed.

First, check with your web host if you have it, then use the proposal for suhosin. Otherwise, look in your php.ini because something is blocking the work of ATAHUALPA.

If you activate ATA-3.6.x and got the white screen, ask for help from your web host, they may find the problem and solving it.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:10 AM
adrian

12 posts · Feb 2011
Okay, I come with more information on the white screen and ATA-6.4.x

If you've read this thread, you already know some of us do not use suhosin.

I want to add more information of how I solved the white screen.

I have my website in a sub-folder. At the root of that folder I create a php.ini, I think instead of creating a php.ini in the sub-folder, you could modify your original php.ini. However, I just want to give access to ATAHUALPA.

Here the contents of php.ini

Quote:
[php]
;;;;;;;;;;;
; WARNING ;
;;;;;;;;;;;
; This is the default settings file for new PHP installations.
; By default, PHP installs itself with a configuration suitable for
; development purposes, and *NOT* for production purposes.
; For several security-oriented considerations that should be taken
; before going online with your site, please consult php.ini-recommended
; and http://php.net/manual/en/security.php.

;;;;;;;;;;;; This only for sub-folder xxxxx

; Safe Mode
;
safe_mode = On

; open_basedir, if set, limits all file operations to the defined directory
; and below. This directive makes most sense if used in a per-directory
; or per-virtualhost web server configuration file. This directive is
; *NOT* affected by whether Safe Mode is turned On or Off.
open_basedir = /xxx/xxxx/public_html/sub_folder
~ Note; absolute path to basedir, not the relative.

Here you do two things, one is safe_mode = On, and two, open_basedir. Remember this will only affect the folder where you allow the safe mode.

I want to add;

1. If I remove the php.ini from my sub-folder, the white screen comes back.

2. When I add the php.ini the response time of my website is accelerating. Possibly because ATAHUALPA can work without restriction.

3. safe_mode has a Warning on the php.net page
This feature has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0. Relying on this feature is highly discouraged.

And that is why I am concerned, rather, concerned about two things.

I already using php 5.3, and is not a good idea to have to add permission to ATAHUALPA, I know you guys already know that something has to change.

So, I'm over here waiting.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:02 AM
lundbech

2 posts · Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisR
I tried the suggestions with the Suhosin-issues. Every try ran in an 500 Internal Server error. I asked my hoster (Speicherzentrum.de) if Suhosin is installed and his answer is:

"das Problem liegt daran, daß das Script 256M Speicher belegen will, was ich aber nicht freigeben kann." The Problem is the script wants to use 256M of memory what I can't allow.

My conclusion: With this hoster I never will be able to use Atahualpa 3.6.x and above?
I can confirm this. I am having the same problems and same errors and my host gives only 128M memory.

Is this something that should be and will be addressed in future versions of atahualpa or is it time to look for something else either host or atahualpa replacement?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hopflys

29 posts · Jan 2011
Palo Alto, CA
WP 3.1
Blank screen appears only when I imported and tried to use the ata-round.txt file. Deleting and installing the theme again removed the problem. As I want to use the ata-round.txt presets I searched the forum and found the suhosin effect posts. Being not technical I am not able to locate the php.ini file on my server. Where would I find this?
Thanks
David