Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] How to not link ALL parent items in Page Menu Bar?

Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:21 AM
bongo

9 posts · Jan 2010
Hi,

In Atahualpa, there is a Page Menu Bar option called:
"Don't link first level parent items in Page Menu Bar?"

I have set it to "Yes" so that the first level parent item doesn't point to anything.

How can I do this for all other menu items that have children? (ie not just top level parent, but ALL links that have children items below them)

For example, if my Page Menu bar has:

About Us
---->Who we are
---->Where we come from
---->History
------->Early days
------->Present

So, in the above case, "About Us" and "History" have children items. I would like to make "About Us" and "History" items such that when a person clicks on it, it doesn't link to elsewhere and instead, remain on the currently viewed page.

Thanks!

Last edited by bongo; Jan 22, 2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Rephrase question
Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:09 PM
AYZ

1 posts · Apr 2010
Anyone have any ideas about this? I too would like to create this effect

(I would add, as an editorial comment, that it is bizarre to be able to click on anything that has children - that is most uncommon)
Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:47 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You could install the Page Links To plugin and then put # in the URL field at the bottom of the History page.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 04:26 AM
jahmin

5 posts · Sep 2010
Leeds
Excellent tip, thanks!

Plus with the new Wordpress 3+ menus you don't need to install the plug-in, just create a custom menu item that points to the URL "#" and position it as the parent, then arrange your pages as its children. This means you can have some parents items that aren't pages at all while others can be both parent items and pages in their own right

Last edited by jahmin; Sep 30, 2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:47 PM
angden

7 posts · Aug 2010
I would like to do what Bongo has requested as well. I am using the new WP Menus option. It seems to overide the "Don't link first level parent items in Page Menu Bar?" under the Atahualpa's Page Menu options. I am using version 3.5.3 and the neweset version of WP (3.0.1). lmilesw's suggestion does not resolve the request because there are many children/grandchildren. In my case http://kariinthekitchen.com, under the Recipes from Workshops tab, I would like the user to not have the option of clicking on the parent or child - just the grandchildren. This is an urgent request that I hope someone can answer for me. Thank you so much!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:07 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Just create custom menu items with the WordPress menu builder. If you don't see the custom menu option you may have to click on Screen Options on the menu page an enable custom links.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:14 PM
angden

7 posts · Aug 2010
Got it! Figured out that I have to add # as the link to create a custom menu item. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by angden; Nov 11, 2010 at 12:34 AM.