Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Upgrade theme when non-theme files are in existing theme folder

Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:02 PM
ewlong

10 posts · May 2010
Upgrade theme when non-theme files are in existing theme folder

Getting ready to upgrade to latest version of Atahualpa.
Am now in version 3.4.6, with WP 3.2.1. I have juggledad's upgrading procedures post.

Had work done by a coder to add a database to my WP site, and the coder added 30+ database-related files (example: page-2417.php) to my atahualpa346 folder.
Here's the site: http://seriousgivers.org/

I know just about enough to be dangerous, so want to check before I make a mess of this:
** I'm thinking that I should move those non-theme files into a new folder, which would be a sub-folder of wp-content. Is that the best way?
** Once I've moved them, do I adjust the WP database so links to the moved files will work? If so, how?
Suggestions will be much appreciated.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:10 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Why not install atahualpa 3.6.7 in a separate folder called atahualpa367 - keep the original also, then make a copy of all those files and put them into the atahualpa367 folder and then you can switch back and forth between the versions.

Don't be surprised if you run into some issues depending on how he coded the files for you.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:09 PM
ewlong

10 posts · May 2010
juggledad -
Thanks for the tip. It saved me a bunch of time.
Followed the upgrade instructions, activated the theme in 3.6.7 -- unfortunately, the layout is messed up badly.
I'm guessing there are a bunch of customizations that were done. I've identified several files that have later dates that the 3.4.6 files, and am guessing they're the culprits.
I have the original 3.4.6 versions. Is there a way to compare the contents of two files? Notepad ++?
Thanks again for any suggestions.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:35 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I'm on a mac and have a great tool for comparing files called TextWrangler. I'm sure there is something on the PC side that will do it too.

There were several files that were patched in 3.6.4 - you can find the patches(bug fix's) in the 'Old Version fixes and change logs' subforum of the 'New Versions, & Updating' forum

Last edited by juggledad; Sep 25, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:06 PM
ewlong

10 posts · May 2010
juggledad -
Thanks. It looks like Notepad++ has a compare feature.
Will keep at it.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:21 PM
Faffe

22 posts · May 2010
Sweden
This is exactly the scenario where a child theme would be helpful. An official guide to using child themes with Atahualpa would be very nice.