Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Is it possible to have more than one Post Page?

Old Jul 17, 2009, 05:43 PM
calcajun

6 posts · Jul 2009
[SOLVED] Is it possible to have more than one Post Page?

I have seen some posts that a similar to my question but I cannot seem to be able to create another page for Posts. I want a couple of pages that are similar to the Atahualpa "Home" page for posts that are for different topics.

I tried the Category Page Plugin and it halfway works. What I mean by halfway...it created the new posting page but I do not want the users to have to manually select the category in the new post page to see the posts. In testing the plugin it appears I had to manually select the categories to see the correct post for the topic.

I'll admit I am new at this but I am puzzled on how to accomplish this objective. The objective is to have some static pages and a posting page for "breaking news" another posting page for "new discounts" etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...I am sure there is a solution but I cannot seem to get the combination correct in this fantastic theme.

Thanks in Advance,
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:13 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
the page2cat plugin works quite well, the key is to create the page and add '[catlist=3]' in the post area. the number ('3' imn my case) is the id of the category you want to display. You can find the category by going to dashboard->posts->category and edit the category you want. You will see something like
HTML Code:
http://mydomain.com/wp-admin/categories.php?action=edit&cat_ID=3
the id=3 is the id of the category you will use.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:05 AM
calcajun

6 posts · Jul 2009
Thanks juggledad....I do understand that to make a post you prefix the post with the [ catlist=## ] and that works to seperate the posts by category where ## equals the category id. Now I see the categories in my sidebar by category but I am still struggling with how to create a new page and make the category content display without selecting the specific category. I guess the action I want is for the user to select this new page and the category content would just present all related category posts within this page. Maybe a better question is should I actually be creating a new page or should this new page be created within the plugin...category--->create new page dialog? Even when I have created the new page and used the category page selection configuring the new page I cannot make the content display without selecting the category in the right sidebar. Does this new page need some tag reference to the category list ID? I am not sure what is the missing element to make this work.

Thanks,

calcajun
Old Jul 18, 2009, 04:54 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
when using the page2cat plugin, lets say you have a category called 'books' with an id=5 and a category called 'movies' with an id=23.

Create one page titled 'Books' and the text for that page will be '[catlist=5]' then create another page titled 'Movies' and the text for that page will be '[catlist=23]'

if the user selects page 'Books', they should see all the posts with the category of 'books' selected.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:15 AM
ecampervanhire

3 posts · Jul 2010
Quote:
when using the page2cat plugin, lets say you have a category called 'books' with an id=5 and a category called 'movies' with an id=23.

Create one page titled 'Books' and the text for that page will be '[catlist=5]' then create another page titled 'Movies' and the text for that page will be '[catlist=23]'

if the user selects page 'Books', they should see all the posts with the category of 'books' selected.

Thanks juggledad but this didn't do the trick for me.

I have the same issue as calcajun. I want posts that are in the category of news (cat_ID=112 in this case) to appear on the page "NEWS". Only posts that I chose to categorize as "news" should go on this page, all others should go on the normal post page (home). Page2cat doesn't seem to do this even with the tweaks mentioned above - my NEWS page remains blank. Is cat2page not a fully functional plugin?

The tweak metioned above seems to put all news category posts in to my latest post as bullet points, however the post itself turns up on my home page. Here's what I did....

New Post
title "TEST"
(in html mode, not visual) typed [catlist=112]
typed "this is a test"
the post appeared on the home page with a bullet point list of all other NEWS category items and the words "this is a test". NEWS page remains blank.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:20 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I've given up on the page2cat plugin and coded a template that is in the gold forums
HOWTO: a 'Custom Query' PAGE template see http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=7822
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:44 AM
juandrah

24 posts · Jul 2009
In ATO Appearance/widgets I dragged Page over to the side bar TWICE, Used the Title line to name two different categories and then used the excludes line to block complementary pages from the appropriate categories.

juandrah