Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Auto-install borked custom templates - but I should have known better...

Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:14 PM
rickheck

139 posts · Oct 2009
In a fit of stupidity, I used the WordPress auto-update to upgrade from 3.7.1 to 3.7.3. Which promptly borked:
- the custom header images
- the custom templates i used (based on the Juggledad template)
- the footer credit removal (I am a paying customer...)

I recovered from that, but wanted to warn others not to follow my path. If you have any custom code, custom header images, custom templates, then the auto-upgrade is to be avoided.

Download the newest to your drive, unzip into separate folder, upload that new folder into the themes folder. Then put your custom header images in the images/header folder (deleting those that are there), copy your templates into the new folder. Then use the Theme selector to select the new version (you should see the old theme version on that list).

Just a warning to others....not to follow my path. (I really should have known better, having done upgrades before....)

...Rick...

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 13, 2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:42 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
Sorry to hear of your problem. It re-enforces the suggestion that you backup before doing any automatic updates.

Many hosting companies (for example, the one I own) do regular automatic backups and free restorations on request. That would have allowed you to restore your system.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:05 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
HOWTO: upgrade Atahualpa to a new version
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:37 PM
rickheck

139 posts · Oct 2009
Yeah, I knew that (the "HowTo" link from JuggleDad). Have done it correctly before.

Just a cautionary tale about being too quick to click....