Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Forum Usage » Forum How-To »

[SOLVED] how to change the entire background color, not the body color?

Old Jul 18, 2010, 02:58 PM
crobertl

5 posts · Jul 2010
I'm trying to change the background color behind the actual page itself. It is a very drab gray color and I want to jazz it up a little. I could only find a modification field for the body background color. Please help.

Thanks, Chris.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:05 AM
lmgalloway

1 posts · Jul 2010
Pleasant Ridge, MI
I changed the background at: Dashboard/appearance/Atahualpa Theme Options/Overall Style & Config./Style &configure layout. Second line down code is "background: #xxxxxx".

I changed the background and removed the gray color on the sides at: Dashboard/appearance/Atahualpa Theme Options/Overall Style & Config./Body, Text & Links and changed the color to match the background.

I also set the padding at the top and bottom to "0" at the location at the top of this message.

Larry

Last edited by lmgalloway; Jul 19, 2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:45 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
If you look at all the Atahualpa section that contain the work "Style" you will probably find what you are looking for and if you post a link to the site we could better understand what you mean.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:42 PM
Bjoernjohansen

4 posts · Aug 2010
I am facing the same challenge with the gray background colour (#dddddd). I would like to change it to #abffab instead.

I have a very difficult time finding the right place to change the code so that the gray background behind it all changes to be green.

The website in question is www.hillsbrook.dk

I am using template Atahualpa v. 3.4.9

Any help on this will be highly appreciated

Best regards

Bjørn Johansen
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:58 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
ATO>Body, text, & Links>Body Style.

All the background colors are changed in many different areas. The whole background is where I mentioned. Then there are the sidebars, posts, footer, etc. You really need to just look through all the Theme Options and try different CSS styles to get an idea of what you can change.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:21 PM
Bjoernjohansen

4 posts · Aug 2010
Thanks for your fast answer. That's impressive.

It may be me not understanding the structure of all this, but why am I to change background colour at the "sidebars, posts, footer, etc." when it is the colour behind it all I want to change?

I had the naive hope that I could change it with one change. But as I read you that is not the case? instead I have to change the code in the various php-files?

Best regards

Bjørn
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:40 PM
Bjoernjohansen

4 posts · Aug 2010
Thanks a million!

That helped! I was so close and yet so far away, but now it's a wrap.

Best regards

Bjørn
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:32 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Sorry for my confusing message Bjoernjohansen. As I reread it I realized how unclear it was. Sometimes I want to give people more information than that need at the time.

In your case changing that one color is all you needed to do. After explaining how to change the overall background color I should have said something like the following.

You can also change the background color of the sidebars, posts, widgets, etc. in other areas of the theme options. They can even be transparent.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 01:33 PM
inlandlight

2 posts · Jul 2010
Greater Los Angeles Area
I'm having the same problem finding where you change the entire page color or background color, not the body color of the page (the whole screen color behind the website page) please advise. Thank you!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 02:01 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
See post #7 in this thread.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 02:36 PM
inlandlight

2 posts · Jul 2010
Greater Los Angeles Area
Thank you! One note, when you change this from the default you have to delete the background image "url tag" or the color tag won't work. Thanks again!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 02:50 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Yes... If you want just a background color the code would be the following if you wanted a gray background.
HTML Code:
background: #dddddd;
The default style does indeed use a background image.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:56 AM
mathmojo

21 posts · Oct 2009
Please excuse my confusion. I've read the entire post, but I'm still not clear on something.
I just want to change the color of the page outside the blog (not the entire background, which seems to include the internal parts, like the center column).

I noticed that in the new versions the area I am talking about is automatically grey (ddd). When I follow the advice in post #7, the internal areas also change the color I specify.

I'm not sure I'm making myself clear. I hope so. Does this mean I also have to go in to the style post and pages area and the style center column area and change those back individually?

I'm using 3.4.9 on wp 3.0.1. Url is http://mathmojo.com/chronicles

Thanks for any help I can get on this.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:13 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
All the various areas (body, center column, sidebars, etc) can have a color or be transparent. If you set for instance the center column as transparent you will see the body background color. Or if you give the center column a color and set the post or page with a background of transparent you will see the center column color. It makes for a great amount of flexibility but you do have to do a bit of thinking to decide which gets colors or is transparent to give you the design you want.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 03:28 PM
Kimberly Gill

20 posts · Aug 2010
Is it possible to only change the body color for a static "home" page without affecting the body color on the other blog pages? I am talking about the color in the center column, not the gray border. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:09 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
If you view source on any page and search for "body class" you can determine the selector for the page. For instance for the home page you would see
HTML Code:
<body class="home blog logged-in">
The selector would be body.home

Then you can use that selector with the selector for the center column which is td#middle to build a selector that will only affect the center column on the home page. You could add any CSS style you want. For instance if you want a red background in the center column only on the home page you would add the following to ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts
HTML Code:
body.home td#middle {
background-color:red;
}
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:16 AM
Kimberly Gill

20 posts · Aug 2010
I'm sorry, I don't think I accurately described what I was looking to change. I do not want to change the color behind the text in the center column on my static home page- I believe this is called the body, what I want to change is the entire center column that is white by default. It is the same center column on this forum page that is within the gray border.

Thank you!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 01:35 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
The code I gave you will affect the area you are talking about but to have a different background behind the words you need to add background CSS to ATO>Style Posts & Pages>Post Container. That container is by default transparent so the middle column background shows through.

If you have sidebars and you want them to have the same color as the middle column you need to add CSS for td#right and/or td#left with background colors as well.

Does that make sense? Sometimes explaining this stuff is difficult.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 02:19 PM
Kimberly Gill

20 posts · Aug 2010
Ok, so this is what I understood to do, I must enter this code:

body.home td#middle {
}

here:

ATO>Style Posts & Pages>Post Container

to only affect the white or transparent background on my static home page.

I tried this but nothing happened at all. Did I misunderstand?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 02:49 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
That code would not work in the Post Container box. Only in CSS Inserts.

I think I need to be clear on what color you want to change. Please take a look at this screenshot and see if I am understanding correctly.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:52 PM
Kimberly Gill

20 posts · Aug 2010
Yes, it is the whole section within the gray border. Because it is on my homepage it's just a small area with no side bars or anything.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:25 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Then it would seem that putting the code below in ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts should work. Of course you will want to change the background color to your liking.
HTML Code:
body.home td#middle {
}
Old Sep 11, 2010, 03:04 PM
Kimberly Gill

20 posts · Aug 2010
This code is only changing what is behind the text red. I want to change the entire white portion of the screen, check it out: www.kimberlygill.com
Old Sep 11, 2010, 05:05 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Maybe I'll get this right eventually. Try changing the background color in ATO>Style & configure Layout>Layout container style.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:00 AM
Kimberly Gill

20 posts · Aug 2010
That did it! Thank you a million.