Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Tearing out hair over getting text to wrap around image

Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:36 AM
Meg

12 posts · Apr 2010
We can't get the text to wrap around the image on our front page. The text does wrap around the images on other pages, but only for one paragraph. In the dashboard box, it looks as though it wraps. But it doesn't.

I and my highly skilled IT friend have spent five hours at least noodling around with this. My friend methodically tried every advice offered so far in these boards, including wrapping multiple paragraphs in a div with a clear:left. But nada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The website: www.whattodobook.com

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2010, 05:32 PM
Meg

12 posts · Apr 2010
Hmmm. No responses. Bummer.

I worked around the problem by increasing the size of the text and putting soft returns after each line to stretch the text the length of the image. But if anyone has a better idea, please do let me know.

Thanks,
Meg
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:43 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You could also wrap the text in a <pre></pre> tag. Then wherever you hit enter will be a line break. A little less cumbersome than using breaks at the end of each line.
Old May 5, 2010, 11:14 AM
digeorge

5 posts · May 2010
Hi,

I also have the same problem. I'd like to place text to right of an image, then another image below the first one and then more text to the right of the second image. Paragraphs and brakes didn't seem to work. The <pre></pre> tag changes the font type.

Do I need to create CSS properties for each image and text block? Is there a simpler way to do this?

Thanks!

George
Old May 5, 2010, 01:46 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Meg - one of your problems is that you have a table you are placing next to the image, not a paragraph. Everything from 'Are you tired of making careful decisions ...' thru 'learned easily and used at the moment when the need for an answer arises.' is in a table and you can't wrap a table around an image. Try getting rid of the table (all the <table> <tr> and <td>'s and see what happens.

digeorge - please open a new thread since Meg is using the 'bytesforall' theme, not atahualpa
Old May 6, 2010, 12:23 PM
Meg

12 posts · Apr 2010
Can't! That table is the last and best solution we've found to the problem of wrapping text around that image. It was a pain but at least it works. But it was too complicated to apply to another page (book expo). All we get there is one paragraph alongside an image. If it's a long paragraph it looks okay; if it's short, it looks odd.

There must be some easy way around this!
Old May 6, 2010, 01:33 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Meg, I don't see why you need all that fancy table stuff. I reproduced your look just by pasting in your text, uploading your image into the post, and publishing behind a password. You can see it here:
http://anglicanwomensempowerment.org/news/testing/

Password: bingo
Old May 6, 2010, 01:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Meg,

One thing that would help with the layout is to set the site to a fixed width of 900px to 1000px. I never use flex widths because of layout issues. Then you could use any method you want to make it look like you want and it won't matter what people do with there browser window.
Old May 6, 2010, 01:56 PM
Meg

12 posts · Apr 2010
Yikes, Paula, it looks so simple the way you did it. I don't know why it didn't work so easily for me. I guess I will have to look at the codes and see if that holds a clue Thanks!

Also, I see from your profile that you use Atahualpa. I wonder if text-wrap is a problem for the bytesforall theme but not for Atahualpa. Anyone know the answer to that?

Last edited by Meg; May 6, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old May 6, 2010, 01:57 PM
Meg

12 posts · Apr 2010
Miles, thanks -- I will check into that, too.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:56 PM
WBJ

1 posts · Oct 2010
I was pulling my hair out over this exact thing and I found something that worked for me. Finally! Check your plugins. I had a plugin called "frame-image". I deactivated that and suddenly text is wrapping around the images.