Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Using Thumbnails from my pre-Atahualpa posts...

Old Feb 4, 2011, 03:34 PM
mkellam

60 posts · Jan 2011
Hi,
I have a site that we just moved to Atahualpa. I just successfully figured out how the excerpt thumbnails work using the "Set featured image" method.

Our old theme required us to create a custom field called "Thumb" and add the image URL to that field, which was then resized using timthumb for the thumbnails. We have not used the "Set featured image" option for the posts we added while using our old template.

Is there a way to use all of the old thumbnails from the old posts so we don't have to go back and "Set featured image" for all of the old posts? We have 750 posts that would need to be changed, so I really don't want to have to manually do it for the older posts. If not, is there a good way to use the "thumb" field for the older post thumbnails to set the featured images for the older existing posts?

Thanks in advance!

Michael
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:37 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Not sure if this will help but you might want to check out the Get the Image plugin.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 03:20 PM
mkellam

60 posts · Jan 2011
Thanks for your answer, Larry!

I looked at that one and I wasn't sure if it would work well for my needs so I did some more thinking. I was thinking since featured images are included in Wordpress now, it would integrate best into the new Wordpress if I could migrate the old thumbnails to featured images.

After doing a little more research, I used the Generate Post Thumbnails plugin to generate featured images from post content for all of the old posts and now we have featured images for all of our posts.

Because we now use a different thumbnail size than we originally did, not all thumbnails were the right size. I'm now using the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin to regenerate new thumbnails that are the correct size. (This worked great on my test site...)

I will then deactivate those plugins but keep them for utility use.

To save the step of having to assign featured images manually, I think I'm going to try the Auto Post Thumbnail plugin, which claims it will automatically generate one from post content when the post is published.

So hopefully, that problem is solved. Thanks again for answering!

Michael
Old Feb 7, 2011, 07:13 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Thank you... Many on the forum just post question after question without looking for answers themselves. While we try to answer what questions we can it is very refreshing to see when someone searches and finds an answer on their own.

Glad you found an answer which may be helpful to others.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:06 AM
Henrietta

10 posts · Aug 2010
NW PA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkellam
Thanks for your answer, Larry!

I looked at that one and I wasn't sure if it would work well for my needs so I did some more thinking. I was thinking since featured images are included in Wordpress now, it would integrate best into the new Wordpress if I could migrate the old thumbnails to featured images.

After doing a little more research, I used the Generate Post Thumbnails plugin to generate featured images from post content for all of the old posts and now we have featured images for all of our posts.

Because we now use a different thumbnail size than we originally did, not all thumbnails were the right size. I'm now using the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin to regenerate new thumbnails that are the correct size. (This worked great on my test site...)

I will then deactivate those plugins but keep them for utility use.

To save the step of having to assign featured images manually, I think I'm going to try the Auto Post Thumbnail plugin, which claims it will automatically generate one from post content when the post is published.

So hopefully, that problem is solved. Thanks again for answering!

Michael

This was the perfect solution for me! Thank you for sharing

Update: I spoke too soon, It successfully resized 420 of my images but I got a "failed to resize. The error message was: Unknown failure reason." with over 600 of my images. Not sure why but will have to look into it.

Last edited by Henrietta; Mar 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:13 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
That may be a php memory issue. That's quite a few images.