Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] How to configure Facebook thumbnails

Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:23 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to configure a specific thumbnail for each post so that if/when shared on Facebook, that specified thumbnail will appear as the accompanying image.

I found an older post in BFA that address this issue...is it still valid? I am not quite expert with coding and before I go into my functions I'd just like to be sure it isn't obsolete already.
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...book+thumbnail

I currently have installed the "Add image_src Meta Tag" plugin, but despite following its instructions (to the best of my ability) I can't get the desired result. I have also tried the "Like-Button-Plugin-For-Wordpress" but it pulls up the wrong image when the post is "Liked", despite its setting to specify an image for each post.

Is there a way to engineer this through Atahualpa without a plug-in? Or at least a way to define a thumbnail for each post that a plugin could latch onto?

My url is http://www.midriffrecords.com

Thanks!

Tony
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:30 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
There are a couple of plugins that I know of. The one I have used is Facebook Like Thumbnail. The one I have not tried is Add Facebook Share Thumbnail + Meta.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:44 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Thanks. I have installed them both, but I am seeing no results as yet. But from what I am reading it takes a while for the caches to rebuild, which is comforting to know. I will report back.

But there isn't any way within Atahualpa to specify this type of thing? Seems like specifying a thumbnail for a post should be built into the dashboard, no?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:39 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
That is a WordPress thing. You can set a "Featured Image" for you posts.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:41 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Hmmm. I tried that, but it simply inserted an image into the post, and didn't indicate it was anything special. Granted, I didn't test it out, as it didn't look like anything special had happened.

But is that all I need to do, set up a featured image and use that image? I may have to smack my forehead multiple times if that is the case...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:55 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
When you are adding an image via the image icon dialog there is a Use as Featured Image link. If you use the Featured Image function on the right column of your editor screen that is the only choice you have.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:15 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Yeah, I tried it. The featured image thing doesn't seem to be doing the trick, either. I am getting the impression I am missing something here. This seems like it should be very simple but I just can't get it to work. Lunch break!

Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
upalm

5 posts · Feb 2011
I'm having a similar problem:
I'm using Simple Facebook Connector Like button and Share/Save buttons plugin. Anyway, here's the issue:

when a post is Liked or Recommended what shows up on Facebook is a completely unrelated graphic.
all my posts have at least 1 image in them.
one post begins with a 40x44px graphic and when that post is Liked it shows up fine on FB.
all the rest though take the "or click for RSS" graphic in the inner right sidebar.
i have put 40x44px thumbnails at the beginning of other posts but it doesn't work
i have tried GIF and PNG and doesn't work.
seeing as this happens with both plugins i'm thinking it's a FB issue?

anyone got any clue here?
cheers
Old Mar 22, 2011, 01:31 PM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Arg. Back from lunch and utterly confused.

Installed Add image_src Meta Tag plugin.

Did what this suggestion from "the codex" advises:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Thumbnails

Then, on all recent posts, redefined the "featured image" to be the first (and only) image in the post. I can see absolutely no difference in the coding regarding these images, so if someone can explain to me what setting a featured actually *does*, it might help justify what felt like a waste of time.

Now the first two posts on my blog will display the proper thumbnail on facebook, but none of the other posts will. At this point, I'll take it. Although I have absolutely no idea why those two are working and the rest are not.

The url is
http://www.midriffrecords.com/news

If anyone can explain to me a comprehensible and repeatable way to get a post to display the desired thumbnail on Facebook when shared, you will get a donation. Promise. Thank you.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:34 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
The theme already has support for post thumbnails so you don't need to add any code. Also did you try the other plugin which is a bit "easier" to use?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:54 PM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
OK! Let the forehead smacking commence. I had a widget in my sidebar that contained html and images. Because it was in the sidebar, it was being crawled, I guess, for every page's thumbnail.

At any rate, I deleted the widget, and now the posts and sharing seem to work as intended. Should that change, I will keep you posted.

I am using the Like-Button-Plugin-For-Wordpress.

Thank you for your assistance!

Tony