Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] How to put a banner in the LOGO-area (between logo and Search)?

Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:29 PM
daveman

13 posts · Sep 2009
Hello,

I am trying to add a php banner <?php MY_BANNER_PHP_CODE} ?> into the Logo Area between Logo and Search form.

I have tried to follow the recommendations given by Imilesw here (post #4):

He says:
Quote:
For this type of layout I usually just add a two cell widget area (See ATO>Add New Widget Area) right where you would normally put %logo.
I normally put my %logo in the Configure Header Area like this:
Quote:
%pages %cats %logo %bar1 %image %bar2
I understand how to create New widget area within Configure Header Area. If, say, I wanted to add Two cell widget area between %logo and %bar1, the I would insert the following piece of code between %logo and %bar1 in the Header Area above:
Quote:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My Header widget area&cells=2&align_1=8&align_2=8'); ?>
But I am absolutely clueless on how to create something (php code) WITHIN %logo itself??

Please explain or give an example.

Thank you
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:39 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
When adding a logo to a widget area you don't use %logo as that is just for the native way of adding a logo. In your case if you have php code for the logo you could just add it in place of %logo or if you determine you need a widget area or areas for layout reasons you will then need to put the code in a php aware text plugin.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:59 AM
daveman

13 posts · Sep 2009
lmilesw, thanks for your advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
In your case if you have php code for the logo you could just add it in place of %logo
The %logo area holds the logo icon, the blog title, the blog tagline, the search box and the RSS/Email icons. And I want to keep all of those, I just need to insert banner into the white space between the blog title and the search form (travelholidays4u.com) and get rid of the space between the logo-area and the header image.

So, if I follow the first route you suggested, then I also need to insert php code for EACH of those elements (title, tagline, search box and the RSS/Email icons). Where can I find the code for them?

thank you

P.S. I am using Atahualpa 3.4.4 and Wordpress 2.9

Last edited by daveman; Dec 21, 2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:56 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
If you create new widget areas you can just use widgets for RSS and Search
Old Dec 22, 2010, 05:52 AM
daveman

13 posts · Sep 2009
I spent TWO DAYS, but I've Cracked it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! here it is: http://www.travelholidays4u.com

Proposal to the forum administration:
-----------------------------------
Dear moderators,

I think being able to put banner into the logo area is SOOOOOOOOOO important for anyone, as this is the most valuable AD space one could possible think of and it SO MUCH improves usability and conversion, that I am positive that many people would want to know it.

So if you approve, I can send a detailed instruction of how to do it from scratch. I spent more than an HOUR just writing it, so perhaps you may want to have it and make it a sticky post so that other forum members could enjoy the benefit and you will save your valuable time not answering the same questions over and over again.

So, if you are interetsed - just let me know and I'll send it as attachment or just post it here. Your choice.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:23 PM
chickenthistlefarm

1 posts · Dec 2010
@daveman - post post post!!!

Please.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:27 AM
papercrete

1 posts · Feb 2011
West Virginia
Did Daveman ever post to fix??? I need to do the same thing!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 05:18 AM
rajeshjsl

9 posts · Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveman
I spent TWO DAYS, but I've Cracked it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! here it is: http://www.travelholidays4u.com

Proposal to the forum administration:
-----------------------------------
Dear moderators,

I think being able to put banner into the logo area is SOOOOOOOOOO important for anyone, as this is the most valuable AD space one could possible think of and it SO MUCH improves usability and conversion, that I am positive that many people would want to know it.

So if you approve, I can send a detailed instruction of how to do it from scratch. I spent more than an HOUR just writing it, so perhaps you may want to have it and make it a sticky post so that other forum members could enjoy the benefit and you will save your valuable time not answering the same questions over and over again.

So, if you are interetsed - just let me know and I'll send it as attachment or just post it here. Your choice.

dude post the solution
Old Mar 1, 2011, 05:37 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
he put a widget area in the header with multiple cells, put the logo in one (copied the generated code) his banner in another and the search boxes in another
Old Mar 1, 2011, 01:34 PM
rajeshjsl

9 posts · Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
he put a widget area in the header with multiple cells, put the logo in one (copied the generated code) his banner in another and the search boxes in another
not getting it , the image comes down the blog title/tagline
i want to be parallel with the search box and blog logo/title

www.dsics.co.cc

i want to put something beside the "computer science department" and the "search box"
thanks
Old Mar 1, 2011, 04:46 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
it doesn't look like you added a new widget area to the header
Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:49 AM
rajeshjsl

9 posts · Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
it doesn't look like you added a new widget area to the header

i added and tried , it wasn't working , i added again please check ..

the problem is it comes down the blog title/tagline , i want it to be parallel with blog title and the search box...

thanks
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:09 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
1) view the source of your page
2) find the section that starts '<table id="logoarea"'
3) copy that entire table to a text document
4) add a three cell new widget area to the 'Configure Header Area' using
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=logo_widgets&cells=3&align=1&align_2=9&align_3=7&&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="logo-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
5) remove %logo from the 'Configure Header Area'
6) add three text widgets, one to each of the three new widget areas you have
7) find the <td> that starts '<td class="feed-icons"' and cut that code to the end of the table (the </table>) and put it in the last text widget. Add a <table><tr> as the first row
8) Edit the remaining code and change teh <table...> line to just <table>. Put a </table></tr> at the end and put all this in the first text widget.
9) put your banner code in the middle widget
10) you may want to play with the width of the widget areas (look at the documentation for the 'New Widget Areas') and you may need to do some styling
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:57 AM
rajeshjsl

9 posts · Feb 2011
thanks a lot !!

will try it and post it as soon as possible !!
Old May 18, 2011, 04:27 PM
ms35

1 posts · May 2011
Hi. I'm still not understanding this! My site is www.passionate-heart.com Could you take a look and help me? I have a banner that I want to put in the white area in the header. Please :-)
Old May 18, 2011, 04:31 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
ms35 - your not using Atahualpa, your using the 'bfa roundtabs' theme which hasn't been updated since 2007.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:19 AM
Katmoody

36 posts · Jun 2011
I have something I would like to do but I keep breaking my site and having to reinstall the theme, so I don't think playing with code is my specialty *grin*
If you go to my page: http://www.katscafe.org you will see I have a lovely white space up above my header in the logo area. What I would like to do is take the widget from my sidebar that has my social icons in it and place it above the header. (I'll be changing my header to get rid of the icons in it!)
Can someone explain to a hopeless newbie like myself how I can accomplish this?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:41 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You could put a new widget area in the header and place your widget there or you could use CSS to position your widget where ever you want. The first issue is having a horizontal layout though.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:57 PM
Katmoody

36 posts · Jun 2011
Quote:
You could put a new widget area in the header and place your widget there or you could use CSS to position your widget where ever you want. The first issue is having a horizontal layout though.
I added the widget and thought I did it correctly but it doesn't show up. :-(
I added the code to the logo styling area to add the widget, and the widget came up in my widget area, but nothing shows when I try to move my widget from the sidebar up to that area instead. Did I do something wrong?
Thanks a bunch - the helpfulness here has been amazing!
Kat
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:35 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
What kind of widget do you want to show in the header? I am not clear on what you want to do.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:22 PM
Katmoody

36 posts · Jun 2011
Quote:
What kind of widget do you want to show in the header? I am not clear on what you want to do.
I had a widget which was just all my social icons, w/HTML for links. It was in my sidebar and I wanted to move it above my header. But I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet. *sniffs*
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:24 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Generally to position something like that you give it a position:relative or perhaps a position:absolute depending on the situation and than use top, bottom, left, or right to position it where you want.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:24 AM
Katmoody

36 posts · Jun 2011
Thanks a bunch! I think I've got it figured out, though I am still fine-tuning it. Thanks so much for all your help, guys - I really appreciate it!