Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

How not to append the profile URL to the username in comments

Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:07 PM
flyboy

115 posts · Sep 2010
How not to append the profile URL to the username in comments

I have a bit of a conundrum. In my profile I have added my Google authorship URL so I can set the Atahualpa to automatically add authorship to every piece of content I create.

But that started adding it to my comments as well.

I had a temporary fix for a while (essentially placing my authorship in the Atahualpa settings), but I am now looking to have guest authors on my site and would like to give them the capability to have their authorship featured as well.

Which means that I need to source the URL from their profile, but i need to do it without it showing up in the comments. As it is right now, no matter who posts, my name and my authorship shows up (since I had to hard-code it in the byline window)

How can I prevent all user's names from becoming a link in the comments area only, without rendering Atahualpa un-updateable (I don't want to start messing with the php)

Last edited by flyboy; Feb 16, 2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 01:14 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I'm not 100% sure of what you want to do but how about using CSS to hide what you don't want to show?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 01:49 PM
flyboy

115 posts · Sep 2010
I am trying to prevent having a profile URL from being used as a link in comments, but inserted in a byline instead.

That would allow me to add Google authorship for all contributors of the blog without having the said authorship appear in the comments.

Comments have a rel nofollow attribute automatically added to them, while authorship has rel author. Having two rel attributes in a link is bad on many levels, but as of recently even worse due to attempts of authorship jacking through comment posts, which Google may be penalizing soon (they certainly no longer honor it as it's quite a blackhat technique).

The simplest solution would be to disable placing the profile URL in the comment, but I can't figure out how to pull it off without changing the code to Atahualpa (which would make it hard to update it)
Old Feb 18, 2014, 02:15 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Can you send a link to an example?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 02:32 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
beside the link…
Quote:
In my profile I have added my Google authorship URL so I can set the Atahualpa to automatically add authorship to every piece of content I create.
so you edited your user profile..where did you add the url?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 01:30 AM
flyboy

115 posts · Sep 2010
I placed it in the "website" field.

Also, @lmilesw, i'd love to give you an example, but I just finished manually removing all instances of URLs in my comment name just few days ago. So I have no example to give you. But it's pretty much the usual stuff you get when your profile contains a URL