Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] Help add featured posts with images and titles below header

Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:36 PM
imissamerica

13 posts · Nov 2009
[SOLVED] Help add featured posts with images and titles below header

Hello,
I've been trying for months to figure out how to make my blog: http://www.bigswingingchicks.com/, have a featured post area similar to this site http://www.theawl.com/ or this site http://www.uproxx.com/. I have no idea where to put the code, I have downloaded several plugins but haven't gotten any to work. I think this WP Featured Content Slider (http://www.iwebix.de/featured-conten...dpress-plugin/) is good but I don't know where to put the code. I tried adding to CSS sheet and my whole site was disabled. Please please advice. I love atahualpa and appreciate all the help!
Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:03 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you could add a new widget area to the 'Configure Header Area' option and put the widget in it.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:34 PM
imissamerica

13 posts · Nov 2009
Thank you but I am not sure how to create a widget that would allow me to feature a post and then have that post show (if that is what you recommend). I tried creating a widget a while ago but was unsuccessful.
1. Am I supposed to download a plugin, then add a new widget to the configure header option with the code of the plugin in there?

Or am I supposed to create the widget, put the code in the widget, then put the name of the widget in the configure header area? If that is the case, I currently have this in my configure widget area "%image %pages %bar1 %logo". So would I just put the name of the new widget somewhere in there?

2. Since I am not using bar2, is it not possible to put the code for the plugin in there?

Any further advice would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:10 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If the 'WP Featured Content Slider' has a widget here is what0 you should do
1) install the 'WP Featured Content Slider' plugin
2) go to ato->New widget area and follow the instructions - I'd suggest just putting the minimun in for now
3) put the new widget area code in teh 'configure header area' option
4) view the front page of your site
5) go to the widget area - you should now see the new widget area you created
6) put the 'WP Featured Content Slider's plugin in your new widget area.
you should be done - other any customizing the plugin requires.

Experiment a little, it is the best way to learn
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:40 PM
imissamerica

13 posts · Nov 2009
Thank you-- I will try this first thing tomorrow.

I have no problem experimenting and apologize for needing such explicit directions but I basically crashed my site last time I dug too deep in the experimenting so I am being cautious now.

Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 01:54 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Do go do regular backups? You should do one before any major design change