Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Custom images for Page Menu Bar

Old May 8, 2009, 02:51 PM
Masselyn

91 posts · Jan 2009
So. California
Hello Flynn:

I have looked through the posts, and found some that are "sorta" what I am looking for...but I am not sure they are right on target. I want to take custom images, which in my case are simply words in a fancy font, and use them as my page menu items (home, about, etc). I do want a rollover effect, which will just replace one image with another - different font color - to give the illusion of hovering. Is this possible? I have seen where people have added small icon graphics to the menu, but it appears they are still using the normal font styles for the menu. I need to replace those font styles, therefore the new words for the menu will be the images I am inserting. I want to end up with something like this I did for a client, though this is a standard HTML website : http://www.lulucoco.com/ . I can't figure out how to properly make it happen in PHP.

Hope that makes sense. Always love your help & this fabulous theme. Thanks heaps! If this exists in a post, and I missed it, just point me in the right direction and I will run with it.

Tiffany
by Masselyn
Old May 8, 2009, 03:26 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
But then the menu would not be dynamic anymore. If you create a new page, it won't be automatically added to the menu bar.

You would have to create this as a static menu, just like you do when creating static HTML sites, and put the whole code into header.php below or above <?php bfa_header_config($bfa_ata['configure_header']); ?>
Old May 8, 2009, 04:03 PM
Masselyn

91 posts · Jan 2009
So. California
Yeah, I figured it would limit things...but I don't see a way around it. I need the fonts to be "cute" for the menu system and I think this is the only way to do it.

Thanks for the information, and I will try it. I thought that HTML code was okay to throw into the PHP files, but I never know where to place it...and then things go *poof* and stop working.

Old May 9, 2009, 02:14 PM
mcphoto

120 posts · Apr 2009
I've had good luck following Flynn's advice for the header; to avoid the "poof", make a copy of your current functional "header.php" and name it something like "header-old" and save it; you can always go back to it.

It's also a good idea to keep a document of code changes you've made (I also save the forum text relating to it) for when you upgrade to a new version of the theme.

I need to produce the same effect that you want for a site; my guess is the easy way would be to make it as a table (in, say dreamweaver) and paste that code where Flynn noted.

I did a post a while back of future-version suggestions and had the idea of assigning a main and rollover state image to each page, that could be accessed through the theme controls - I think it's a great idea as many sites use graphics for links. It could be done by using the page slug as the graphic file name (IE, "Contact Us Today" would be "Contact-us-today-A.gif" and "Contact-us-Today-b.gif", the "A&B" being your main and rollover states... in which case it seems like you'd just have to activate a "graphic menus" function, assign a background, save your images in a "graphic-menu" directory and the rest would be automatic. We'll see what Flynn thinks...
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:08 AM
coghead

2 posts · Nov 2009
I think MCPhoto's idea is a good one! I also think the atahualpa theme is great, and a lot of my students are using it - but they all want to replace the default text in the page menu bar with 'images' of their own text.

Thanks for all the work on a great theme.

Gord