Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Last blog entry on static homepage

Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:05 AM
JournalStone

11 posts · Jul 2009
I've done a search on this, and currently have it working by using feedburner (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...tatic+homepage

But, I want to add 'Feedflare' to my feedburner feeds, and this carries over to the front page post, and with limited control on the formatting, and makes things look not so pretty.

Is there a way to do this with just a piece of code in the page referring to the loop? I'll be adding more content to the homepage, so I need to be able to control where the latest blog entry is located on the paage.

I'm still a newbie when it comes to Wordpress and php, so any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated!

http://journalstone.com/

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 01:50 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Please provide more details, what kind of formatting do you want, etc...
Old Aug 9, 2009, 07:21 PM
JournalStone

11 posts · Jul 2009
Hi Flynn,

Thanks for the reply. I really just want the static page to look like it currently does, with the most recent blog post listed at the top, without feedburner as the source or the post. Nothing fancy...

Thanks!

http://journalstone.com
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:49 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You can turn off most of it with a

CSS Insert

body.home p.fbsubscribelink,
body.home div#creditfooter,
body.home div.feedflare {
display: none;
}

The remaining two little, empty boxes have no CSS class. For the plugin that you're using, did you have to put PHP code somewhere into the template, such as <?php some_plugin_function(); ?> ?

If so, you could turn it off for the homepage by changing that to <?php if ( is_front_page() ) { some_plugin_function(); } ?>

In that case you would not need the CSS Insert anymore, and the remaining boxes would be covered too, if they are created yb the plugin
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:55 PM
JournalStone

11 posts · Jul 2009
Flynn,

Thanks again... support here has been fantastic.

I've done a poor job of explaining what I want to do. Currently, I am using Feedburner's 'Republish Feed as HTML' script to have the latest post show up on my front page.
Code:
<script src="http://feeds.feedburner.com/Journalstone?format=sigpro" type="text/javascript" ></script><noscript><p>Subscribe to RSS headline updates from: <a href="http://feeds.feedburner.com/Journalstone"></a><br/>Powered by FeedBurner</p> </noscript>
I want to remove this completely.

I'm looking for another method to display the latest post on the front page, something within Wordpress. I do not want to use Feedburner at all.

Thanks again for all your help.

JournalStone
Old Aug 11, 2009, 05:47 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Try putting this into Style & edit CENTER COLUMN -> Content ABOVE the LOOP
PHP Code:
<?php if ( is_front_page() ) {
query_posts('showposts=1');
?>
And at Style & edit CENTER COLUMN -> Content BELOW the LOOP

change

<?php /* Displayed on MULTI post pages if activated at ATO -> Next/Previous Navigation: */
bfa_next_previous_page_links('Bottom'); ?>

to

<?php /* Displayed on MULTI post pages if activated at ATO -> Next/Previous Navigation: */
if ( !is_front_page() ) { bfa_next_previous_page_links('Bottom'); } ?>

If you've set Next /Prev. Navigation -> Location of Next/Previous Page Navigation on MULTI Post Pages to Top and Bottom or Top, thenchange
bfa_next_previous_page_links('Bottom'); at Style & edit CENTER COLUMN ->Content BELOW the LOOP, in the same way
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:19 PM
JournalStone

11 posts · Jul 2009
Ok. This is great. I removed the Feedburner code from the front page. I added php code to the content ABOVE the LOOP section and the content BELOW the LOOP section, and the latest post appears on the front page. Sweet.

I still get the navigation on the bottom of the post on the front page, but I'm assuming that's because I'm using WP-PageNavi. I'll have to track down the fix for that...

One more question. Is it possible to add additional content to the front page using the Wordpress Page editor? Or does the most recent post overwrite the page content?

Thanks again!

JournalStone
Old Aug 11, 2009, 04:26 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
It would overwrite the page content. A fix, albeit not elegant, would be to put that extra content also into ATO -> Style & edit CENTER COLUMN -> Content ABOVE the LOOP

<?php if ( is_front_page() ) { ?>
Some text here<br /><br />
<?php query_posts('showposts=2');
} ?>
Old Aug 11, 2009, 05:23 PM
JournalStone

11 posts · Jul 2009
Great. Thanks again!

JournalStone