Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Putting lastest blog entry on static homepage

Old Feb 7, 2009, 06:26 AM
Pushbikerider

1 posts · Feb 2009
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the great Template - it's fantastic!

I've recently setup Wordpress 2.7 with a static front page separate to the blog entries. What I'd like to do is have the static page holding some general welcome text followed by the latest blog entry.

The static page just follows the same template as the rest of the site and I've got two sidebars with widgets in on that page too.

On the edit page view in the Dashboard is there some combination of (welcome) text followed by code that I can use that will get what I'm after or do I have to use another method of editing the page for it to work?

I've seen a few examples of code which I've tried but there's must be something I'm missing as they either just appear as text or don't appear to run correctly.

Any hints or pointers in the right direction would be great, thanks in advance!
Old Feb 7, 2009, 07:14 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Try this plugin http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page2cat/

You would have to associate a category with a page (the page that you chose as front page) and then use the 2nd option of that plugin:

By popular demand, version 2.5 also ships with a shortcode like [catlist] that allows to display a list of posts from a certain category inside a post or a page

(The default usage of the plugin is the other way round: A page's content being used as "header" for a category)

Other threads related to that plugin:
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=207
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=177
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:06 AM
bibliophiliac

7 posts · Mar 2009
I'm helping my father-in-law with his website at wes-wilson.com. I've been perusing these support forums for awhile and the information provided has been very helpful. Thank you for the great work you're doing.

So, I'll preface this by saying that the Category Page Plug-in almost does exactly what I need.

My father-in-law and I want his blog to be on another page (other than the front page) and have a static front page. I've followed your instructions for that, it was a cinch. But then we want the most recent blog post to show up on the static front page. I've added the Category Page Plug-in and used the [catlist=xx] code (where xx is the category #). It works in that it shows the blog title, but I want it to show the entire blog post. Is there a way to do that?

I've tried going to the Category Page Plug-in support forums, but it looks like that page is down. Also, I'm a novice as far as coding goes -- but I've found I follow instructions fairly well. I apologize ahead of time for any silly questions I may ask.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:03 PM
owenl

44 posts · Jan 2009
There is an easier way to do what you want than use a plugin.

First - take the welcome text you want and write it as a regular post. Then make it sticky - so it is always at the top. Then go to wordpress settings and set the blog to only show the most recent TWO posts - you will get what you want.

The problem with this solution is that you have to acceppt whatever default post styling you have set up
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:19 PM
bibliophiliac

7 posts · Mar 2009
Thanks owenl. Would this also work, though, if we want to have the blog in another part of the website? I only want the most current blog post to show on the front page, visitors can then click through to the blog (from a link in the menu bar) to view it in its entirety (or the most recent 5 posts or so) on another page.

It seems there should be a simple way to do this with an RSS feed... hm.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 03:34 PM
bibliophiliac

7 posts · Mar 2009
Ok, after much trial and error I think I've finally figured this out. (Admittedly, this would have taken anyone else 5 minutes. But patience and some old-fashioned stubbornness are virtues for us n00bs.)

I simply created an RSS feed for my blog with Feed Burner. I then used the Buzz Boost feature in Feed Burner to create an HTML of my feed and customize it as needed. All that was left was plugging this bit of HTML into my static home page and, voila, my most recent post is on my homepage while the blog itself is still a layer down.

Found this gem tucked away on the WordPress.org Codex while I was researching how to create mini-loops: http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_...ng_a_Mini-Loop

Entirely too simple. Hope this is helpful to someone else down the road!