Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Where in Atahualpa is the code normally found in sidebar.php??

Old Aug 7, 2009, 05:13 PM
lhanft

88 posts · Jul 2009
Cleveland, OH
Several times now, I've found what I think is the perfect plug-in, but find I can't figure out how to use it because the instructions give me php code to be inserted into sidebar.php.

I know that part of the genius of Atahualpa is the atomization (for lack of a better word) of php functions so that they can be controlled in the Theme Options.

But in the absence of sidebar.php, there surely must be an appropriate php file into which I can insert plug-in code? I've not been able to figure this out on my own.

For example: On my neverending quest to find vertical navigation, I tried using Wordpress Menu Manager, a plug-in that lets you build a nav menu anyway you want (i.e. not relying on pages_list), and then to style it any way you want to (I found the css for some vertical navs I liked).

All went well until I got to the very end of the directions for the plug-in:

Quote:
To display a menu simply paste in the template tag with the appropriate menu ID number into your theme such as in the sidebar.php or maybe even the header.php where you want the menu to render as follows: <?php displayMenu(1, 3); ?>
And I'm stumped, because I don't know much about php, and after scanning index.php and functions.php and a bunch of other Atahualpa files, I can't figure out the right place to put this.

Is the problem that the functions normally found in sidebar.php have been redistributed other places, so that the answer to the questions "Where should I put this code?" depends upon what the code does? Does the answer also change according to the version of Atahualpa?

(I'm using 3.4.2 with WP2.8.3, btw. My site is http://theagnonschool.org)

In my search for solutions in this forum, I found several other threads that boiled down to this same question (Where is php sidebar coding?, Easy PHP Calendar Integration,
CYC plugin, Putting Code/Sign Up Form into Sidebar help, Where is text that normally appears in sidebar.php?, Where is the sidebar.php for this theme?, I'm not sure what file I need add code for the sidebar, etc.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 01:57 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The left sidebar(s) are in header.php, the right sidebar(s) are in footer.php

header.php: <head>..</head> section and left sidebars
index.php: center column
footer.php: right sidebars and footer
Old Aug 9, 2009, 05:10 PM
lhanft

88 posts · Jul 2009
Cleveland, OH