Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] menu styling location - firebug

Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:27 PM
jrobie23

63 posts · Feb 2011
Boulder, CO
Perhaps I've been staring at this for way too long, but need some direction.
I am "fixing" a theme that was edited withOUT using the HTML/CSS inserts. I've got nearly all of it squared except the pesky background of the menu.
When I view it through firebug, I can't seem to locate where the previous person made that change. the menu div literally comes up empty. but if I go into "css mode", I can see the background image file being called up. I have added that to html/css inserts and swapped over to the new theme, but nothing changes. (i don't suppose it's as silly as needing that "!important" in there??)

This is the code I find in there (and that I added to html/css inserts):
Code:
ul.rMenu ul {
    background: url("/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/menu-bg.png") repeat scroll center top transparent;
}
here's the site (a page w/out any sliders/don't use the home page): http://www.gordisfishandsteak.com/about/

I tweak the menu features inside of ATA and nothing changes (meaning, I can't even "break" it on purpose)....
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:03 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The site looks fine to me. What is it you want to change?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:13 PM
jrobie23

63 posts · Feb 2011
Boulder, CO
sorry... i need to clarify.
i have the updated ata theme "ready", but when I switch over to it, the background of the menu is just black.

what i'm trying to figure out, is where the previous person added the css to make the background that wood pattern.

the site is live, so i just flip it over, see if I can find the damn thing and then switch it back... still to no avail.

make sense?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:43 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I am still not clear on what you are trying to do. Can you reword what you want once again?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:46 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
ato->Body, Text & Links->Body Style - the background option
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:49 PM
jrobie23

63 posts · Feb 2011
Boulder, CO
ok... .and i'm sorry for taking up your time with this... it's kinda silly, but i can't crack it.

the site you see "live" now is fine and dandy. but the guy that built it made his changes (somewhere) in the hard-coded css, instead of "html/css inserts".

so, when I update the theme to the latest version, the menu (where the skis are) goes black (the background of menu1). The rest of the changes, I have been able to find and add to the html/css inserts so when I update, the site looks fine.

He (somewhere) added a background image to that menu and I can't figure out where.

Juggledad... I think you're referring to the full background?? I just need that pesky menu background.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 06:22 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
if he made changes in the actual css file (css.php or style.css) just do a file compare (grep) of the two files from teh previous version to the new version, to see what changed. On the mac you can do it with TextWrangler (free) and I'm sure there must be a free tool in windows - but I have no idea what it might be
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:07 PM
jrobie23

63 posts · Feb 2011
Boulder, CO
no worries, Juggledad. I'll keep poking around. It's the silly menu, so it can't be that hard to find. I might just make the update and go add the css/html inserts myself.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:24 AM
jrobie23

63 posts · Feb 2011
Boulder, CO
I found "diffmerge" for the mac.... it's very handy and highlights the changes. I've been using that for all 4 of these upgrades (yes, he did 4 sites without using the inserts!) "job security!"

Thanks again for all the help.

jason.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you haven got it, take a look at TextWrangler for the mac. I use it all the time. You can compare two folders to find all the differences.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:57 AM
jrobie23

63 posts · Feb 2011
Boulder, CO
sounds fantastic! will do