Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Widgets - Widget Area Problem

Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:47 PM
annsworld

140 posts · Mar 2010
Hi there,

I have several Widget - Widget Area Problems. I am not sure, if these problems are connected so I put them in one post. I have yesterday installed the latest Version of Atahualpa and am new to this theme, Wordpress and am also not a programmer... yep - not ideal - Iknow. )

Anyhow:
Part 1)
I have a wiki and a shop that I would like to link to through WP whilst all me articles will be published in WP.

So - I set up links and categories for those. In the admin function my right sidebar is completely empty, the left sidebar has the Links Widget.

For some reason the links alwas show up in the left and in the right sidebar. With the added "benefit" that in the right sidebar some (not all, just some) of the lines on the left hand side of each item have been replaced with bullet points (ugly).

Part 2)
I really would prefer to have a top menu with a drop down functionality that links to shop and wiki. e.g. Home .... Shop ..... Wiki
and then Links after that so the drop down (sorry i cannot display this properly here) is like:

Shop
Link 1 (should open to a new window with www.annsworld/shop/ link_1 etc)
Link 2
Link 3

So I added a widget area to the header. What happened is, that the whole page got massively shifted downward, with no widget showing. Just a big empty space half my screen.

The Menu bar for the static categories still sits there. That is where I really wanted to have the links.

Part 3)

For completions sake: I added a widget area to the bottom of the main column for twitter feed in and that seems to be working fine. Don't know if it is interfering with any of the other stuff?

Here is the link to my wordpress page:

www.annsworld.de/wordpress

It would be great, if any of you could help me!

Thanks and best regards,

Ann.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:52 PM
annsworld

140 posts · Mar 2010
I have removed all widgets now except the twitter one in the bottom and the links one in the header area and reloaded the screen xxx times.

It still looks as before. Even after rebooting the computer completely.

So it does not seem to push my changes into the website???

helpless....

Ann.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:44 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
when you first setup a wordpress install, wordpress gives you some default widgets on teh left and right sidebars. These do not showup in the backend, only in teh front-end. Once you add a widget to the left and right sidebars, these default widgets ceese to appear.

If you want to add an external link to the menubar (something that is not a wordpress page0 it can be done - search the forums since this has been answered a few times.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:20 AM
annsworld

140 posts · Mar 2010
Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Re the widgets. I had read about that in one of the other threads.

So I inserted the archive widget to the left sidebar. All the links still show (which I had deleted).

I then added "BFA Recent comments" to the right side bar (without checking any boxes) - now the right sidebar shows completely empty. Interesting.

So I tried adding "BFA Recent comments" to the left sidebar. All the links still show...

Thus, adding a widget did not solve the problem for the left sidebar, but for the right. Odd, isn't it?

Re. the external lin menubar - I had searched for it, but could not find any thread regarding this. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ann.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:54 PM
annsworld

140 posts · Mar 2010
Hi,

Just to let it know that I got it fixed a different way.

Thanks,

Ann.