Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Teaching myself how to handle Atahualpa - Suggestions Pls

Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:58 AM
andr3w84

10 posts · Jun 2010
Oz
Hello everyone, I'm completely new to using WP and want to set up a site using Atahualpa. While I see it's rather complex for a newbie I still want to be able to understand it well so I would like to ask you what should I teach myself to handle this theme well; would CSS be enough (I already know html)? What else would be necessary?

Thank you!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 05:31 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You don't need to know much to use Atahualpa as long as you don't get fancy. If you want to start getting fancy, it will help you a lot to know CSS? A great resourse is w3schools.com/css
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:37 AM
andr3w84

10 posts · Jun 2010
Oz
Thank you for the link, in fact that was my first option (www.w3schools.com is such an amazing resource, just like this forum ). Well, I only need to create a 5,6 page site, which apart from a nice page menu bar and header is going to be rather simple (beautiful but simple, to be more precise ). It should look like an static site, I will not be adding blog posts or anything like that, not in that site.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:36 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Your best bet is to understand how Wordpress works, at wordpress.org. In your dashboard, you'll see Atahualpa Theme Options in the appearance pane. Go through everything there, where you'll find all kinds of ways to customize the look/feel of your site.

If you are going to have a mostly static site made up of pages, not posts, you should set your home page to a static page. Create that page first.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 04:33 PM
andr3w84

10 posts · Jun 2010
Oz
Thanks again. I have a fair idea of how WP works (I'm not sooo newbie anyway ); the thing is, I've been going thru the Atahualpa Theme Options in the Appearance Panel and it's there where my work stalls. So, in order to cope with all that, is it necessary to know CSS for the most part or other coding standards are also necessary?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 05:10 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
As Juggledad said, it's helpful to know some CSS if you want to make more customizations than the options offer. You can use the HTML/CSS inserts area to put in your own CSS. Frankly, though, so many of the options are already coded for CSS, so you're just picking colors and layouts which get fed into the CSS without your knowing much at all.