Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Numbered lists

Old Jan 2, 2010, 04:00 AM
trentrey

5 posts · Jan 2010
Is there an option I can't find to force a blank line between entries in a numbered list?

1. This thing

2. The other

3. Yet another

versus

1. This thing
2. The other
3. Yet another

?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 05:15 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
did you do a google search?
try 'force a blank line between entries in a numbered list'
Old Jan 2, 2010, 02:31 PM
trentrey

5 posts · Jan 2010
It sounds like my question ticked you off. I'm sorry if it sounded stupid, but I'm no HTML guru. I use the Atahualpa theme for two sites, and I love it because there are so many things you can configure without having to be a coder. If there isn't an easy way to do force blank lines (where it's the default when someone is posting) I may have to find another theme for one of the sites, because it involves a lot of lists.

I did do a Google search, and a thorough search of this forum. I did not find the answer I was seeking, which is why I registered and posted.

I was hoping for an answer such as, "Why, yes, it's this option on this menu." I guess it's not that easy!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 02:39 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Here are a couple of threads that may help with list spacing but remember with ATA 3.4.4 you can just put the CSS in the inserts area in ATA settings instead of style.css.
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1513and http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...=9172#post9172
Old Jan 2, 2010, 02:43 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
No I wasn't ticked off, I try to urge people to do a search so they can learn. This has nothing at all to do with Atahualpa, it's all about HTML. As much as everyone would like to think that they can blog wthout knowing anything, that's not the case. It's like driving a car. You have to learn how and when it needs maintenance or you'll destroy it. You can do the maintenance yourself or hire someone to do it, but if it doesn't get done.....

there are two types of lists in HTML, Ordered and Unordered. In an Ordered list, you can have numbers, no numbers in an unordered list. So a simple ordered list in a post would be an '<ol>' which states it will be an ordered list, followed by several '<li>.......</li>' (which are teh list items) then the code to indicate the end of the lise '</ol>' so a simple list would be

<ol>
<li>item one</li>
<li>item two</li>
<li>item three</li>
<li>item four</li>
</ol>
which will display as
1. item one
2. item two
3. item three
4. item four
now to put a space between 2 and 3 you just add a '<p />
so you would have
<ol>
<li>item one</li>
<li>item two<p /></li>
<li>item three</li>
<li>item four</li>
</ol>
see your're going to have to learn some code no matter what (grin)
Old Jan 2, 2010, 09:10 PM
trentrey

5 posts · Jan 2010
lmilesw:

Thank you! That did it. I've never messed with a CSS insert before, so it was nice to have it work on the first try. Maybe now I won't be so afraid of them.

juggledad:

Thanks for the tips on doing it manually. I don't mind the extra steps--they only take a couple of minutes. I was trying to set things up to make it as easy as possible for several co-bloggers who have almost no experience with such things (my minimal experience makes me the expert, sad as that is). They want to write, not mess with formatting, and I'm worried if they're forced to, it will discourage them from writing and reduce the amount of new material. I'm trying to develop a system that takes human nature into account!

Again, thanks to both of you. I love this theme and am delighted to be able to keep using it.