Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Showing Off

Old Mar 14, 2009, 09:58 PM
hovering

6 posts · Mar 2009
Beautiful work profiphotos!

I've been working with WP since January and Atahualpa rocks.

Here's were I am at: http://domesticblissinc.com/blog/

LOVE the customization. Looking for some other theme colors to cobrand my other sites.

Last edited by hovering; Mar 14, 2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added who i was impressed with and my info
Old Mar 15, 2009, 03:36 PM
bpbaker

23 posts · Dec 2008
Whitstable, Kent, England.
Hovering - I guess you have a large hi-res monitor for working with images. The reason I know this is because, on your site, the Byline in the header image doesn't show all of the words on my screen which runs at 1280 x 800.

To keep this visible, in the position it is now, on all screens you need to anchor the image to the top left so that with lower res screens the right hand edge of the image will be lost instead of the left.

On my site because I needed both edges locked I returned to a fixed width layout. Just one of those things you don't realise until you see your site on another screen!

Last edited by bpbaker; Mar 15, 2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Defined where the error showed.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 05:24 PM
hovering

6 posts · Mar 2009
Thank you for the feedback, I hadn't noticed that yet but can see what you mean by shrinking my browser window.

Yes, we have 23" cinema displays for our photo work, that is one of the main reasons I like the variable width of Atahualpa. I do check my design on a less powerful PC but missed that detail. Maybe I will move the credit line in my rotating images.. It won't look as good centered, but it doesn't look at all good running off the screen.

Thanks again for the QC.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 04:52 PM
ryguy

7 posts · Mar 2009
Leedapseattle.org

I have been working with this one for a few weeks and like it

What do you think?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:38 PM
robertbrand

2 posts · Mar 2009
Sydney Australia
We are about to launch a global website for a big event. We are working on content, but I would appreciate the comments.

"Echoes of Apollo" The World's Biggest Space Party and You're Invited! www.echoesofapollo.com

It is a big site!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 04:44 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
Well, I'm getting there.

http://millburndiner.com/wp/

This is "WordPress as a CMS" and this theme makes it soooo easy. No blogging, no subscribers, comments, etc. "Just the facts, m'am." (You are ready for Social Security, if you know that reference).

It is frustrating that there is no way to center the logo. It's not in the Theme control panel and I can't figure out where o insert code in the files to force it. This should definitely be considered for the next upgrade.

As soon as the site owner provides photos, a Photo Gallery page will be created using the fantastic FunnyZoom plugin.

Likewise, I've installed only one header image. The one that is there today is made up of borrowed photos and it too is waiting for the site owner's photographer to provide material.

I welcome suggestions and feedback.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:06 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
BTW- that Apollo site is awesome. At first I thought it cluttered. The I began digging into the material. Very impressive.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:46 AM
evalee

7 posts · Mar 2009
how did you create that custom nav bar?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:49 PM
Darren Sproat

3 posts · Mar 2009
Take a look at http://www.darrensproat.com

I am thoroughly delighted with this theme.
D
Old Mar 20, 2009, 02:07 PM
owenl

44 posts · Jan 2009
OK - more updates - now doing a 'magazine-style' atahualpa - this one does take some actual hacking at the code though, so not so straightforward

docgurley.com

also figured out the easy way to update some of the basic css styling - like if you want your h4 tags to be different just override them using the HTML/CSS settings options page in the atahualpa options and dump all your basic css changes in the css box at the bottom
Old Mar 20, 2009, 07:00 PM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
evalee, to whom is that question directed? Which site has a custom nav bar?
Old Mar 21, 2009, 08:19 PM
MacMacGA

12 posts · Mar 2009
Warner Robins, GA
Send a message via AIM to MacMacGA Send a message via Skype™ to MacMacGA
I am working on a committee to revamp the state AAUW website. When I discovered Wordpress and then the Atahualpa theme, I knew it was the answer to many problems. I have this set as a sample because it has not been approved by the board, but I think they will.

I have a long way to go adding stuff, but it is so much fun to work with. I have learned so much from this forum. Thanks everyone.

http://aauwgeorgia.org/Sample/
Old Mar 22, 2009, 03:31 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
Before commenting there is a typo in the above link. The expressed text reads correctly but the underlying hypertext link has the typo. It should be http://aauwgeorgia.org/Sample/

This is a lovely example of a makeover that replaces the old-fashioned HTML technology with an empowering new structure. And well done, too.

Some minor quibbles (where is the fun in life without them?).

1) there are only two places on the entire site that informs a visitor of what the acronym AAUW means. In the opening sentence of the Join page and in the middle of paragraph 8 of About > HerStory. This is essential information that belongs on the very first page in an un-missable position.

2) I doubt that I will ever understand the blog-inspired concept of putting a navigation menu on the right-hand side of a page. I read from left-to-right, as does most of the western world.

Having grown up reading magazines and newspapers - and web sites - with the nav menu on the left, it is still discombobulating to have to roll my eyes to an unaccustomed location that varies from site to site.

Yes, at least 90% - maybe even 99% - of all blog themes put the navigation over on the right. But that does not change the way most people read a document.

3) Your site would be more readable if your paragraphs were shorter. While my previous quibble was a cry for tradition, this is one that says tradition does not apply to web site reading. If you look at books and newspapers published 150 years ago, blocks of text are unbroken, sometimes for pages. The paragraph is a fairly modern concept and it is still evolving.

As paper and print became less expensive, paragraphs became shorter but often remained dozens of lines. Over time, the definition of a paragraph evolved. As taught to me in grade school, a paragraph is a coherent thought. The opening and closing sentences are structural determinants of where one starts and ends.

But those considerations do not apply to the monitor screen. The issue of readability of text on a screen, compared with that of print, suggests a new paradigm. My own opinion is that paragraphs made up lines of more than 70 characters long should be limited to 3 to 6 lines in order to facilitate reading. There are numerous studies online to support variations on that opinion.

Google the word "readability." After you absorb those results, try "legibility" too, just to make sure you understand they are related but different issues.

4) In the left hand column, the "more" tag is replaced with [...] and the extended article is only reachable by clicking the title of the item. That is not an intuitive move. I am converting an 4 year old-WordPress version, old-theme, site of my own to the current WP and this excellent theme. Some, but not all of my posts have the same problem. Maybe this is a bug in this theme?

5) add photo album pages of event and activities. The plugin "FancyZoom" makes that easy to do.

Bottom line, you've done an excellent makeover, my comments aside.

Last edited by joe hark; Mar 22, 2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 03:45 AM
avmichaels

1 posts · Mar 2009
Wanted to make the effort to stop by and say thanks for this theme, I also sent you an anonymous donation, good work.

I had fun with this one and though am still working on some small details, I am happy to share what I have done so far

Surfing the Tao

The only change I am still wondering about is whether I can find a font for my title that is more asian/eclectic but it's not imperative, I realize not everyone's browsers recognize them.

Vielen Dank and Mahalo
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:36 PM
mike3k

3 posts · Mar 2009
Send a message via AIM to mike3k
Best WordPress theme ever! The customizability is really awesome. I'm now using it at www.macmegasite.com.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:58 AM
zerinSSL

1 posts · Mar 2009
Completely grateful for someone providing this theme for free. I'll donate here shortly because I think this theme is worth far more than some of the "premium" themes out there on the market. Just overhauled my site from 2.3.x to 2.7.1 and as someone who knows very very little about CSS and HTML (And I mean VERY little), I was able to really get the site looking great.

http://www.speedsportlife.com/

Many thanks again.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:59 AM
JBWhite

12 posts · Mar 2009
US
I'm new to Wordpress, but have worked with enough site software to recognize a spectacular product. This is an excellent template. It's very easy to use, and my site is dang near designing itself! About a year ago I opted for the paid version of a popular php directory software, even paying extra to join the support forum. Being new to php I had a handful of simple issues with my site I couldn't resolve even after reading most of their forum. To date, I never did get any answers to those questions. lol I had to figure it out for myself by trial and error. I'm very impressed with the level of assistance I see here, especially considering that you don't charge for the product.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:36 AM
thirstyreader

50 posts · Mar 2009
I was "keeping it real" with Kubrick until about a month ago, maybe less. I figured my growing readership would want more functionality.

www.thirstyreader.com
Old Mar 25, 2009, 05:46 AM
automaton99

2 posts · Mar 2009
I've just launched a site and I would be very grateful for any comments or questions that you may have.

http://www.nanobreak.co.uk probably wouldn't have been possible without this amazing theme!

I've did some minor customization on the theme with the particular aim of having a minimalist design.

This is an affiliate marketing site for people in the UK who are interested in short holidays, using the new buzzword 'nanobreak'. I'll answer any questions you have in the forum or by PM.

thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 05:53 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
I love the ability of the English language to accept colorful and useful new terms like "nanobreak." Well, at least it's new to me.

Nice use of the theme. Just one minor suggestion. The caption "Quick search" might be better as "Quick Search" (initial cap on both words), given that's what is on the right with "Recent Articles."
Old Mar 25, 2009, 05:57 AM
automaton99

2 posts · Mar 2009
Thanks for your suggestion, I'm going to change it now. I find myself staring at the screen blankly trying to find things that could be fixed, then someone else comes along and spots something immediately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe hark
I love the ability of the English language to accept colorful and useful new terms like "nanobreak." Well, at least it's new to me.

Nice use of the theme. Just one minor suggestion. The caption "Quick search" might be better as "Quick Search" (initial cap on both words), given that's what is on the right with "Recent Articles."
Old Mar 25, 2009, 05:32 PM
patgeary

4 posts · Mar 2009
I was looking for something a little different than my other blogs for this new one. Found Atahualpa and decided to give it a try. The result http://www.expression-web-tips.com/

Had a problem with it validating but checked the forum and found a fix. Still needs some tweaking but I like it. I do want to combine the styles in the header.php with the static style sheet. Need to be careful though as I wiped it out last night.

Thanks for a great theme that resizes to a smaller screen and validates. Off to make a donation now.

Pat
Old Mar 26, 2009, 08:28 AM
jacoblo

3 posts · Mar 2009
Here is my page built on your wonderful theme:

http://jacoblo.se/

Thanks for the great theme, this forum and your support!

/Jacob
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:37 AM
Webmason

69 posts · Feb 2009
Minneapolis, MN USA
Very nice work everyone! This is such an impressive and user friendly theme!
My site has been around awhile, but I am in the process of converting it completely over to WordPress and this theme. Please take a peek and share your thoughts.

Tip20.com

Tom

Last edited by Webmason; May 13, 2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Changed URL (took off "/blog"
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:48 AM
Ashjoielee

17 posts · Jan 2009
NC
Very nice site! May I ask what you are using as your thumbnail gallery in the right sidebar?

Thnaks!
Ash