Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » eCommerce & Atahualpa »

Using the Shopp plugin with your Atahualpa site?

Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:51 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
I'm just starting to install the Shopp plugin on my test site http://www.shepherdjim.com/ and would love to see it in action on other Atahualpa sites.

And, of course, it'll be helpful to hear of any troubles and tricks anyone wanted to take the time to share with the rest of us.

The e-commerec shopping cart installation at http://www.shepherdjim.com/ is not active so you can feel free to fool around by making "purchases" and such.

Jim

Last edited by Shepherd Jim; Nov 19, 2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:07 AM
Liston

26 posts · Oct 2009
Scotland
Hey Jim et al

Since you started a new thread I thought I'd keep this one bumped and fresh, instead of replying to the other one. How are you finding Shopp?

Ecwid is now working with Ata, but is sadly lacking in features in the backend at this stage. Down the line this might be good.

Using e-commerce and liking it just now. Price is good (free without add-ons) and it is doing the job. Am I missing the forums somewhere?

Not sure if it is on my end, but your ecommerce shop is taking a little time to load, and the same when clicking on products. Having a look around the entire site is loading a tad slow for me. Perhaps someone else can confirm. Looked on both Firefox and IE8 - both hang on waiting for page to respond. As I said might just be me.

Keep us updated when you have shopp running. Might help me make a decision either way based on your feedback.

John
Old Nov 20, 2009, 05:50 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liston
Hey Jim et al ...<snip>...

Using e-commerce and liking it just now. Price is good (free without add-ons) and it is doing the job. Am I missing the forums somewhere?
I'm always slow on the uptake -- I don't understand your question. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liston
...Not sure if it is on my end, but your ecommerce shop is taking a little time to load, and the same when clicking on products. Having a look around the entire site is loading a tad slow for me. Perhaps someone else can confirm. Looked on both Firefox and IE8 - both hang on waiting for page to respond. As I said might just be me. ...<snip>...
No, you're not imagining the slowness of http://www.shepherdjim.com. I activated the default WP theme and it go a lot more zippy so I can't blame host GoDaddy -- though I might hit them up for re-location on a speedier server (or maybe one with not so many "sharers" just for the hell of it.

I removed the fancy hack I had posting my "announcement box" on the home/landing page. I had the feeling it was pretty code intense and maybe being involved with every page refresh. Though, I have to say, that pages are still slow to load even while I'm just editing in the Dashboard -- making changes even just to "text" in posts or pages.

I think you might be working on UK Barbell at this time -- it took me four clicks to load it.

Question: what does one do with 100 kg Atlas Stone? Hate to think how much the Royal Mail would charge for you to ship me one! lol

Jim
Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:30 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Jim,
About your slowness. I know that it is your 'play' site. When was the last time you optimized your database? How many rows in your wp-options table. You would be surprised to see how many plugins write things into the wp-options table but don't give you a way to clean it out.

Last edited by juggledad; Nov 27, 2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:10 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
Jim,
About your slowness. I know that hi is your 'play' site. When was the last time you optimized your database? How many rows in your wp-options table. You would be surprised to see how many plugins write things into the wp-options table but don't give you a way to clean it out.
Hey Paul! Thank you! I've been using the DB Manager plugin just to auto-back up the sites -- not sure I'd ever noticed that the plugin also "optimized". Doing the "opt-thing" does seem to have speeded up load times quite a bit.

Now, is attending to the number of "rows in the wp-options table" taken care of by the optimization or is there something else I have to do?

Jim
Old Nov 21, 2009, 05:37 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Unfortunately cleaning up the wp_options table is not that easy. You have to go thru it and figure out which rows are for old pluging or themes you aren't using.

How many rows are in it? (you can see this in phpMyAdmin)

UPDATE:
try the 'Clean Options' plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/clean-options/) to help identify orphan wp-option entries

Last edited by juggledad; Nov 21, 2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 06:44 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Unfortunately cleaning up the wp_options table is not that easy. You have to go thru it and figure out which rows are for old pluging or themes you aren't using.

How many rows are in it? (you can see this in phpMyAdmin)

UPDATE:
try the 'Clean Options' plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/clean-options/) to help identify orphan wp-option entries
Wow! The above "UPDATE" just appeared! -- I'll check that out after further caffeination.

In the meantime: phpMyAdmin up at GoDaddy shows me there are 483 records in wp_options (filesize: 889.4 kb). I exported (dumped?) a .csv which I'm going to try to send you a copy of under separate cover. Interesting: the csv has 3,868 rows ( 483 records = 3,868 rows ??)

Right now, I need another cup of Wicked Joes "Breakfast Blend"! Over and out! ...and thank you! Jim
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:59 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
sent you an email with the table stripped of the atahualpa options (and a couple others) it may help you find any old entries.

One other thing, how many rows in your wp_posts table? WordPress has an option to save revisions of posts. The default is to keep all revisions. This can be changed by adding the following line to wp_config.php:

define ('WP_POST_REVISIONS', 2);

this will only keep 2 revisions of any post. A negative number will keep all revisions, 0 will keep none and any positive number will keep that many copies
Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:52 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Okay! there were 250 lines in the wp_posts table which is a little scary in that this site only has a few very short blogposts.

Per your suggestion, into wp_config.php I inserted:

Code:
/** EC3 added this line to limit number of post revisions to 2 */
/** A negative number will keep ALL revisions, 0 will keep none */
define ('WP_POST_REVISIONS', 2);
Am I correct in thinking that this change will be preserved and will survive both Ata and WP upgrades?

Re the wp-options.php file: I had deleted one row which said it was "settings" for "CForms" -- a plugin which I'd de-activated and deleted some time ago. (( Gravity Forms RULE !! ))

I haven't really discovered anything else "in there" which is an obvious candidate for deletion.

Jim
Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:14 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
that change has nothing to do with Atahualpa since Atahualpa isn't in charge of posts. As long as you don't overlay the wp-config.php on a wordpress upgrade it will stay in place.

you can get rid of all the extra revisions by running the folowing SQL statement
HTML Code:
delete FROM `wp_posts` where `post_type` = 'revision'
WARNING: This will get rid of ALL your revisions, so if you think you might need to go back to an old version of a post, don't use this.

In my test install, I ran it and got rid of 241 out of 275 rows (leaving 34 - remember the wp-posts contain both 'posts' and 'pages' which are a special type of 'post')

Also, if your changed your prefix from 'wp_' to something else, you will need to use your prefix in the statement.

Oh, remember 240 rows in a database is really insignificant. Now if you had 20,000 rows of revisions, that's another story.

After you run the delete, optimize the table.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:02 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Okay! That worked very well.

Quote:
...<snip>...As long as you don't overlay the wp-config.php on a wordpress upgrade it will stay in place.
Sorry jDad, please be more specific When there's a WP update will I be okay just clicking on the "auto upgrade" option in the Dashboard? OR will the "wp-config.php" be over-written?

...<snip>...
Quote:
Oh, remember 240 rows in a database is really insignificant. Now if you had 20,000 rows of revisions, that's another story. ...<snip>...
Besides doing this on the test/Shepherd Jim site I've also done it at http://www.hatchtown.com/ where Pam has been doing some real blogging, and having lost work in progress more than once she's very good at saving her posts as she's working them.

There were over 2,000 lines in that wp-posts table. There are now just over 500. I remembered to check with Pam re the possibility that she might have a blogpost or two "in progress."

Thanks again! Jim
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:22 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The 'Upgrade' option will NOT over write wp-config.php since wordpress does not ship this, they only ship wp-config-sample.php
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:17 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Hey JDad! Thank you! I LOVE the changes I make that I don't have to remember to re-install after updates and upgrades. I've been trying to intelligently document any/all changes/hacks I've been making to my WP/Ata installs, but that really IS quite a task.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I'm just starting to install the Shopp plugin on my test site http://www.shepherdjim.com/ and would love to see it in action on other Atahualpa sites.

And, of course, it'll be helpful to hear of any troubles and tricks anyone wanted to take the time to share with the rest of us.

The e-commerce shopping cart installation at http://www.shepherdjim.com/ is not active so you can feel free to fool around by making "purchases" and such.

Please share your Shopp site with the rest of us! Thanks, Jim
Old Jan 1, 2010, 03:06 PM
Masselyn

91 posts · Jan 2009
So. California
Hey :

I thought I would throw a few of my sites out there, using Shopp. I swear by it, and have tossed WP Ecommerce to the side (the one by Instinct). Sorry, but I found it to be buggy and inconsistent and the upgrades were hard to do. The support was....well....no comment! They might have gotten better in the past 4 months, but since then Shopp has been serving me and my clients well. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Enjoy!

www.ontheperipherie.com
www.resnackit.com
www.bowtique.com.au

P.S. Atahualpa is always used in the above sites, and all of my E-Commerce sites. Again - if it works (and works well), why the heck would I want to fix it!!!

Last edited by Masselyn; Jan 1, 2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: adding some information