Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Alternating background colors for category items in sidebar category widget

Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:40 AM
Cheers

105 posts · Jun 2010
Is it possible to have alternating background colors for textual category items in a sidebar widget? Perhaps even a small alternating icon for each category?

I have attached a screen snap to show what I have. Notice that the categories alternate between mac and windows. It would be nice if I could tie a small mac icon to the post mac tags and a windows icon to the post windows tags. Then if I could alternate the line background colors, ie. blue for mac, green for windows or vice versa.

Any advice and/or help greatly appreciated

cheers.

Last edited by Cheers; Nov 28, 2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:45 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
if the categories had a class assigned to them, like 'mac' and 'windows' then you might be able to use some CSS to do what you want.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:54 AM
Cheers

105 posts · Jun 2010
How would I do that? There is nothing in the category editor that even indicates a place to put a class. I'd really appreciate it if you would show me how to do this.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:11 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You can use Firebug in Firefox to determine the classes. If you put those posts in the categories of mac and windows most like the class will be category-mac and category-windows
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:22 AM
Cheers

105 posts · Jun 2010
I used Firebug to capture the html for the following two categories:

<a*title="View all posts filed under Arkanoid (MAC)"*href="http://yourbestgamesstore.com/category/arcade-action-4/arkanoid-38">Arkanoid (MAC)</a>

<a*title="View all posts filed under Arkanoid (WIN)"*href="http://yourbestgamesstore.com/category/arcade-action-6/arkanoid-40">Arkanoid (WIN)</a>

It seem to me that what determines the category in the first instance is /arkanoid-38"> and in the second instance /arkanoid-40"> I'm the one that put the (MAC) and (WIN) in the text that actually shows as the category on the page. Problem is that these games come in by rss feed and whenever a new game comes in it just ignores my changes and plops in a new category with no reference to either (MAC) or (WIN).

So It would be nice if I could remove all the (MAC) and (WIN) that I have added and get to a point where the rss supplied category would automatically put a different colored background with either a win or mac logo for each category.

Advice?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:05 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Firebug will show you the category. Then you use CSS in the CSS Inserts box of the theme options to give a background color to those categories.

The class will be on the <li...> that includes the <a...>

Last edited by juggledad; Nov 2, 2011 at 07:27 AM.