Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

Show full Excerpt

Old Oct 19, 2009, 03:18 PM
SFGolfer

7 posts · Oct 2009
Is it possible to show the full excerpt?

I have the Excerpt Length set to 200 and all page types set to Excerpt but the ellipsis [...] is still appearing.

Am I missing anything?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 03:42 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
when does the [...] appear? i.e. after how many words?

Last edited by juggledad; Oct 20, 2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 03:49 PM
SFGolfer

7 posts · Oct 2009
They appear in different spots:

Information on future [...]

Dues are due by October 31, 2009 or you are considered [More...]

I just noticed that each of these have the very last word missing. The first one is 'tournaments' and the second one is 'delinquent'.

Does this help you?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 03:52 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
what release of Atahualpa and WP?
What is your URL?
did you change the ATO->Configure EXCERPTS->Custom read more option from the default?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 04:10 PM
SFGolfer

7 posts · Oct 2009
Version 3.4.4 on WP 2.8.4.
no url (intranet)
It was changed to [<a href="%permalink%">More...</a>] but the same symptoms appear when using the default [...].
Old Oct 19, 2009, 05:43 PM
SFGolfer

7 posts · Oct 2009
If I add a few spaces after the last word then the last word appears but with the ellipses.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:34 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Have you made any changes to the code?
Did you add anything into 'The LOOP'?
Do you have anything but the defaults at ATO->Configure EXCERPTS?
Have you tried it with all plugins disabled?

I can't reproduce this so there is something 'different' from the base install and your site. The trick is figuring out what.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 05:41 PM
jacobb

5 posts · Apr 2009
I'm having the same issue with 3.4.4. No problems with 3.3.2. It looks like the same issue was also found here: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=3512

However, I don't have the events calendar plugin active. Unfortunately, I only have 3.4.4 hosted on a private dev system right now, so I can't show the same behavior just yet. Any known solution?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 06:29 PM
jacobb

5 posts · Apr 2009
I haven't played with this much more, but patching functions.php with the following worked.
Code:
	if (count($words) > $excerpt_length) {
to:
Code:
	if (count($words) > $bfa_ata['excerpt_length']) {
Is this a bug in 3.4.4?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:07 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Do you by any chance actually have an excerpt coded in the post?
1) if so, is it longer or shorter than the post and
2) is it longer of shorter than the ATO->Configure EXCERPTS->Excerpt length?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:15 PM
jacobb

5 posts · Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
Do you by any chance actually have an excerpt coded in the post?
1) if so, is it longer or shorter than the post and
2) is it longer of shorter than the ATO->Configure EXCERPTS->Excerpt length?
Yes, manual excerpts are defined for all of these posts. They are shorter than the actual post, do often contain some html (though it doesn't seem to matter either way), and they are shorter than the excerpt length. The problem is, the excerpt length defined in ATO->Configure EXCERPTS->Excerpt length is never actually being used if the post has an excerpt. You can try it with an excerpt of your own, then echo out $excerpt_length before the comparison is done in the second if block. This variable needs to be set to the value in $bfa_ata['excerpt_length'].
Old Nov 3, 2009, 06:14 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I've taken a look at the code. Your patch works in most cases, but there are still some problems. I'm going to try and rewrite the routine so it follows the WordPress rules

1) If there's a 'manual excerpt' use it 'as is' regardless of length and put the 'custom read more' after it.

2) if there is no 'manual excerpt', look for a 'teaser' (the <!-more->' tag) and create the excerpt from that and put the 'read more' after it. (note that is different than the 'custom read more')

3) if there is no 'manual excerpt' or 'teaser', create the excerpt based on the excerpt length.

after I pass it by Flynn

Last edited by juggledad; Nov 3, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 06:27 PM
jacobb

5 posts · Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
I've taken a look at the code. Your patch works in most cases, but there are still some problems. I'm going to try and rewrite the routine so it follows the WordPress rules

1) If there's a 'manual excerpt' use it 'as is' regardless of length and put the 'custom read more' after it.

2) if there is no 'manual excerpt', look for a 'teaser' (the <!-more->' tag) and create the excerpt from that and put the 'read more' after it. (note that is different than the 'custom read more')

3) if there is no 'manual excerpt' or 'teaser', create the excerpt based on the excerpt length.

after I pass it by Flynn
What problems does patch cause? I do have this version with the patch now running at http://www.mirthcorp.com. Let me know if you make changes that are better so I can incorporate those into the live site.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:23 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
there is still a problem where the the Manual excerpt is bigger than the excerpt length (for example:. the number of words in the Manual Excerpt is 60 and the excerpt length is 55) in that case, the last word of the excerpt is still replaced with the [...]

If I can get the code right, that won't be a problem because if you code a manual excerpt, I think it should use the whole thing.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:02 PM
yo-less

5 posts · Nov 2009
Same problem here. Whenever I want the full excerpt to be shown I need to add an extra word that gets deleted afterwards when the excerpt is shown. I have started adding &nbsp; to my excerpt entries which works fine, but is a bit of a hassle ^^.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:33 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
There is a bug fix in this forum - see http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=3377

Last edited by juggledad; Nov 16, 2009 at 07:46 AM.