Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Customize the Page Menu w/ Images?

Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:07 PM
imissamerica

13 posts · Nov 2009
Hello
First off, thank you to everyone in the forum for continued insight and assistance. I started a new site and am using Atahualpa since it's the best WP theme around.

My current site is: http://www.bigswingingchicks.com/

I am looking to add a bar under my header image that looks like the one on this site: http://www.uproxx.com/ that links to past posts on the site w/ images. Namely, I am looking for something similar to the featured posts w/ images seen on that homepage (like where it says "trending" "Buzzing," "Features" Etc on uproxx homepage.

Sorry if this is vague--I don't know what this feature is called so couldn't search for it.

Any assistance is much appreciated
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:03 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Look in the Add New Widget Areas section of the theme options. A multi celled widget area code placed in the Configure Header Area box will give you some widget areas where you could use a plugin or code in a text widget to add the images and links you want.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:07 PM
imissamerica

13 posts · Nov 2009
Thank you for your response. I went to "add new widget area" and see the example codes (which is what I want to do) but when I try to click on 'Style & edit HEADER AREA' nothing happens. I tried to find "Configure Header Area" but don't know where that is .

Should I add that widget code to the "editor" or to one of the "horizontal bars"?

Please advise! Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:03 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Take a look at this screen shot.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 03:30 PM
imissamerica

13 posts · Nov 2009
Awesome, thank you so much. Now I know I am asking a lot but to get it to link to previous or featured posts, do I just add html code to the new widget areas? Or is there a plugin?

I really appreciate your help!!!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:15 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Try doing a google search for 'wordpress plugin featured post' and try some of the results you fine - you should also search at wordpress.org.

Remember one I like might not fit your needs
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:55 PM
imissamerica

13 posts · Nov 2009
Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I found "Yet another featured posts plugin (YAFPP)" but I don't think I can use this with the multi celled widget area I created.

The directions tell me to put this code into the template:
<?php get_featured_posts(array( 'method' => 'return')); ?>

I am not sure where I am supposed to put this code. Should I put it in the Style and Edit Header Area Section? Or should I create a widget for the header and then put the code in there? Or should I put it in the css?

I really appreciate the help I have received and plan to donate to the forum once I recoup the money I spent during the holidays :/!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:41 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Where you put it depends on where you want the list to show. You might put it in a widget that allows php, you might put it in a post or page by using a plugin that allows php in a post or page.

I never put code in the theme files because that would have to be redone if you do a theme upgrade.

There also may be other plugins that use a shortcode you can place in a post or page.

Bottom line this is something you will need to play with and try various ideas. It will take becoming familiar with the way WordPress works and how to integrate plugins etc.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 06:53 AM
cabdziner

22 posts · Feb 2011
The Advanced Text Widget will allow PHP code.

You can use php code in the widget to get post excerpts... The code below would show 1 post with the excerpt from category (ID #) 3.

Code:
<?php
query_posts('showposts=1&cat=3');
while(have_posts()) : the_post();
?>
<ul>
<li><h3><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h3>

<ul><li><?php the_excerpt(); ?></li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
<?php endwhile; ?>