Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Widgetized Footer

Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:58 PM
OrganicAnalyticsNow

14 posts · Jan 2009
Hello

I've been looking around on how to put widgets into my footer, and found something that looks like it would work with Atahualpa.

http://www.magicinthedesert.com/how-...dpress-footer/

In the tutorial they mention looking in the function.php, atahualpa has functions.php

The tutorial said to look for:
if ( function_exists(’register_sidebar’) )
register_sidebar();

atahualpa has this, which I added Footer from the copied Inner Right Sidebar code.

register_sidebar(array(
'name'=>'Footer',
'before_widget' => '<div id="%1$s" class="widget %2$s">',
'after_widget' => '</div>',
'before_title' => '<div class="widget-title"><h3>',
'after_title' => '</h3></div>',
));

At line 79 of footer.php is:

<!-- Footer -->
<td id="footer" colspan="<?php echo $bfa_ata['cols']; ?>">

<p>
<?php echo bfa_footer($bfa_ata['footer_style_content']); ?>
</p>
<?php if ($bfa_ata['footer_show_queries'] == "Yes - visible") { ?>
<p>
<?php echo $wpdb->num_queries; ?><?php _e(' queries. ','atahualpa'); ?><?php timer_stop(1); ?><?php _e(' seconds.','atahualpa'); ?>
</p>
<?php } ?>

<?php if ($bfa_ata['footer_show_queries'] == "Yes - in source code") { ?>
<!--
<?php echo $wpdb->num_queries; ?><?php _e(' queries. ','atahualpa'); ?><?php timer_stop(1); ?><?php _e(' seconds.','atahualpa'); ?>
-->
<?php } ?>

<?php wp_footer(); ?>

The tutorial said to use the code below. I replaced the code above with the code below.

<?php if ( function_exists(’dynamic_sidebar’) && dynamic_sidebar(Footer) ) : else : ?>

To end the dynamic sidebar, add this code:

<?php endif; ?>

It seemed to work, the Footer widget tab was on the widgets page, but when I checked, nothing was there. I'm close.. I can feel it. Just need that lil bit of help. I'm running this experiement on my desktop til I get it right.
Cheers!
Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:11 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
In Atahualpa 3.4.2 there is now the ability to put widgets in the footer. See ATO->Add new WIDGET AREAS
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:23 AM
OrganicAnalyticsNow

14 posts · Jan 2009
I should have mentioned that.. I am using the current version, and the Add Widget Area isn't working. I'm having the same issues previously mentioned in a post re: Widgets in the Footer with WPMU.. Although I'm not using WPMU, I'm still encountering the same problem.
When trying the Add Widget Area, none of the widgets stick. The widget will remain when I view the site, but are filed in the Unused Widgets area when I go back to the Widgets page.
The new Widget Area I try to create also doesn't have a title where the widgets are dragged into it on the Widgets page.
I've tried the Add Widget Area on a live site and the same thing happened.
This is why I was looking for a tutorial, to try and get around this *known and unaddressed bug* in Atahualpa.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:11 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
This is strange, it works fine for me,
1) What version of Atahualpa, WP and PHP
2) What OS and Browser
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:15 AM
OrganicAnalyticsNow

14 posts · Jan 2009
So to get back to my original question .. should I be looking in the bfa_footer.php file to reedit the code?

Also, your thoughts on Tabbed Sidebars? There don't seem to be any plug-ins current with the latest WordPress and none of the posts in here are solved.

Cheers
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:40 AM
OrganicAnalyticsNow

14 posts · Jan 2009
I'm using OS X 10.5.6 and Firefox 3.0.12.

I've also created a test site to experiment on at http://emgesem.com/ and its doing the same thing too.
Here is a screencap of my Add Widgets page. This is after inserting the code into the Footer Content in Style the Footer tab.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	214  

Last edited by OrganicAnalyticsNow; Jul 31, 2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:58 AM
OrganicAnalyticsNow

14 posts · Jan 2009
OK now its working online, but not on my desktop.

After installing the code into the Style the Footer tab, its working on www.emgesem.com but not on my desktop. I FTPd the same Atahualpa to see if its the theme, and that's working fine.

I know it's not a plug-in problem because the only plugin working is a configured Akismet.

Thanks
Old Aug 2, 2009, 03:11 PM
OrganicAnalyticsNow

14 posts · Jan 2009
SOLVED: It didn't work on my desktop because PHP4 was installed. It worked on my published site because PHP5 was running on the server (as it should).

Thanks for your help.