Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] Twittar plugin for avatars

Old Oct 4, 2009, 04:45 PM
nycgadgetgirl

24 posts · Sep 2009
NYC
Hey Flynn,

Many of my commenters are on Twitter, but don't have Gravatars, so I would love to use the Twittar plugin from Smashing Magazine. The comment/avatar code in this theme looks so much more involved than in most themes though, I'm not confident about editing it. Pointers?

The plugin is here: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009...dpress-plugin/

thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2009, 08:57 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
Have you thought about implementing Disqus comments?

Disqus will allow readers to leave comments with their Twitter ID and Twitter avatar. And their comment will then appear in their Twitter feed as well with a free link to the page they commented on, giving you lots of extra traffic from Twitter.

Disqus also allows commenters to use OpenID, Disqus ID, their Facebook ID, etc. Or they can comment as guests still.

You also get a much better looking comment interface, and a better control panel to monitor the comments.

/I do NOT work for Disqus even though this post sounds like I do.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 09:16 PM
nycgadgetgirl

24 posts · Sep 2009
NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon
/I do NOT work for Disqus even though this post sounds like I do.
I was wondering!

And, no, I haven't heard of it, but I'll certainly check it out! thanks.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:55 PM
nycgadgetgirl

24 posts · Sep 2009
NYC
Hey Wimbledon! - I installed and configured Disqus and so far I like it! I don't like that it broke the avatars for the people who already had one (shows a broken image until they "claim" their comments), but otherwise, it's pretty slick. Thanks for the tip.

Flynn - Don't worry about sorting out the code for the Twittar plug-in (at least not for me anyway). For now, I'll try out Disqus. It works with Atahualpa right out of the box!

Last edited by nycgadgetgirl; Oct 4, 2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 6, 2009, 05:05 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
Glad to find you like the system, I recommend it because it works so well on my sites.

FYI, you can change the default Avatar that shows up for unclaimed comments.

You can change this option by heading over to your Settings page under Customize and Appearance. Simply upload a new image, crop it, and you’re good to go.

Now all comments left on your site with a default avatar will be changed to your new image.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 05:16 PM
nycgadgetgirl

24 posts · Sep 2009
NYC
The default image only displays for all of the unclaimed comments that had a default image before.

The ones that are broken are the comments that were previously displaying a Gravatar. Those all show as broken images now, when they should be displaying the user's Gravatar. The only way I have found to fix it, is to have the user claim the comments. I emailed Disqus support last night to see if they have a solution, but I haven't heard back yet.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 08:19 PM
nycgadgetgirl

24 posts · Sep 2009
NYC
After a couple weeks of using Disqus, I decided I don't like it and went back to the native WP comments. I like being able to fix the threading of comments in the database, which I couldn't do with disqus. I also never heard back from them (even after TWO requests for assistance) regarding the broken images for gravatar users. Oh well... live and learn!